Thursday, May 12, 2011

Belly Vs. The Burning


* = It would be less funny if it wasn't so true.

I finished Better Off Ted (***** out of 5) last night lying in bed, icing my aching chest. So as you can see by the rating I loved the show.
Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have gainful employment in an office environment that sometimes seems to mimic the heartless ideal of the American Corporatocracy, maybe it’s because sometimes I feel I have to almost compromise my ideals to function here, or maybe it’s just because it’s a funny ass show. Either way I found over the course of 26 episodes this to be a thoroughly enjoyable, wacky, sometimes cute, kinda dirty, but more than anything very smart show. So if you have the time and can find it, WATCH IT!

While I’ve been nursing my crushed chest, I’m also nursing my bruised pride. Let’s face it, I’m getting’ old. I don’t bounce back from the big ‘events’ of life as much anymore, let alone the stupid accidents that seem to crop up. It has been awhile since I’ve felt this physically miserable without surgery being involved. On top of all that my masculinity took a hit yesterday as my wife mowed the front yard. Now don’t get me wrong I appreciated it, because A) the lawn needed it & B) there was no way I could have gotten it done currently. It’s just that when she outworks me it makes me feel bad. In a perfect world she’d have everything at her fingertips; the moon, the stars, everything. Instead, just like everyone else, we live on the scraps of life. We work hard, we do what we can, and we enjoy what we earn. I’d love to have her enjoy everything, earned or otherwise. So to know while I’m lying on my back with an ice pack on my chest watching TV, she’s out in the humidity mowing. It doesn’t make me feel like a very good guy, friend, or husband.

I know, I know I should get over it. We’re equals, she can do whatever I can (except for pee standing up) and to limit her by some personal ideal of being chivalrous is idiotic. So I’m an idiot, I’m good with that. I feel that part of being devoted utterly to someone is the wish that you can give him or her the world and all in it on a silver platter. It’s flustering to be limited.

It’s even more difficult to know your limitations and be unable to overcome them. Limitations suck…

RANDOM CRAP!

- If I’m not going to paint tonight maybe I should ‘finish’, aka ‘DIP', the 52 minis on the table.
- The BBC Sci-Fi drama Outcasts is on my ‘radar’. It looks interesting. It’s only 8 episodes, has a lot of solid actors in it, and the premise has my attention. Maybe it’ll be next.
- NCAA Football 2005 is once again issuing its siren song to me. I think it’s time to get back to my Dynasty.
- The Mohawk needs a trim.
- Bernard Hopkins about Donovan McNabb just shows how much of an idiot Hopkins is. Why anyone takes anything coming out of a pro boxer’s mouth as anything other than poppycock is beyond me.
- Two Words for Marvel SAGA this Saturday; FINAL CRISIS!
- If it’s going to rain, JUST RAIN already. Give me thunder and downpours and the soft cool breeze with that smell of rain. Don’t give me 80 degrees with 95% humidity and then drizzle with no respite. C’mon weather get it together.
- I hate the hiccups.

Now I want a nap…

“I am the world that hides
The universal secret of all time
Destruction of the empty spaces
Is my one and only crime
I've lived a thousand times
I found out what it means to be believed
The thoughts and images
The unborn child that never was conceived
When little worlds collide
I'm trapped inside my embryonic cell
And flashing memories
Are cast into the never ending well
The name that scorns the face
The child that never sees the cause of man
The deathly darkness that
Belies the fate of those who never ran
Well I know its hard for you
To know the reason why
And I know you'll understand
More when it's time to die
Don't believe the life you have
Will be the only one
You have to let your body sleep
To let your soul live on
Love has given life to you
And now it's your concern
Unseen eyes of inner life
Will make your soul return
Still I look but not to touch
The seeds of life are sown
Curtain of the future falls
The secret stays unknown
Just remember love is life
And hate is living death
Treat your life for what it's worth
And live for every breath
Looking back I've lived and learned
But now I'm wondering
Here I wait and only guess
What this next life will bring”



* = Is that Yog Sothoth puking out some Nothics? Cooooooool....

1 comment:

  1. The thing is, I could pee standing up. It won't go well, but you never said it had to. ;-)

    By the way, I appreciate that it kind of bugs you that I had to do the weeds and lawn by myself yesterday. I think it would be far worse if I did that and you were comfortable with it. That way when you are better I know I can count on you for help again.

    But in the end I have to admit that I liked the exercise and it wasn't that humid yesterday. Plus I'm totally banking time for the eventual day that I will be 7+ months pregnant and will refuse to do all heavy yard work and/or shoveling. :-D

    ReplyDelete