Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Neverending Story Vs. The Invention Of Lying


* = If you're going to have a tree, have a tree...

I was trying to think today of ways to focus my imagination when it’s running rampant. You can only tell yourself so many imaginary stories while you nod and smile at the world that is moving around you. I can only say “huh, what did you say”, or “can you please repeat that last thing” so many times while in my brain I’m seeing the stars die one by one, or fighting off zombies in the dead of winter in a city in the midst of it’s death throes, or exploring the tomb of a long dead king, or assembling a group of like minded heroes to stop a veritable Legion Of Doom.


It’s not that I live in my imaginary world(s), it’s just that I visit there often when confronted with monotony and soul crushing boredom. The thing is a lot of my imagination is sort of derivative. It’s built around what I’ve read, what I watch, what I play, I’m not sure I have ever constructed something completely original. Which brings me to the idea that maybe there isn’t a whole lot left that isn’t derivative, homage, or just a straight up rip-off. I’d love to think that I have more to offer than that, but the reality is I’m not that confident about that.

Keeping that in mind I’ve decided to just throw some ideas down in the blog. Will I ever get back to them to use them for a short story or for some RPG? Most likely not, but it doesn’t hurt to put this out there. Hell who knows, maybe someone else out there will take the ball and run with it.

Without further ado, here is what’s spilling out of my mind right now;

- The world is flat, has an edge, and if you attempt to traverse it you can literally fall off into the nothingness, into the void of the unknown. Most of the world is small continents, ruled by an aristocratic class, but on the high seas among the islands, both mapped and undiscovered, there lies the chance for men and women of any race to carve their own destiny. This would a pirate style fantasy world; black powder weapons would be available, but not prevalent. While Humanity is strong it’s not the only race, and it is not the dominant race. The Dwarves have mastered the art of construction, building vessels that both skim the sea with incredible speed and agility while also mastering technology allowing them to hide beneath the waves. The Elves have retreated into their ancient homes living as isolationists and xenophobic zealots to a time long past. The myriad of other races jockey for control of their native lands and all the while seek to assimilate to the re-emergence of mankind. All the while the sea is full of the unknown and mysteries of the briny deep. Lost civilizations, ancient ruins, and long forgotten Gods lie waiting for their moment to rise again. Continents to the south show that this isn’t even the first Age Of Man. Ruins and tombs give way to evidence that Man was once master of the world, a world that was once ‘whole’. A great calamity ended humanity’s rule, and led the way for the other races to assume power to rival the human empires. Trust is at a minimum, minor wars break out constantly, but with most Empires separated by large bodies of water, these wars can only be fought through the strength of navies. Court intrigues, alliances secured by marriage, ransoms, & assignations have become commonplace. Merchant Guilds consolidate power, Thieves Guilds work to undermine authority and acquire wealth beyond avarice, & strange new cults and religions have sprung up as the fickle nature of humanity gives way to transient deities. All the while adventurers, sorcerers, and their ilk vie for immortality. Meanwhile beneath the light of three moons the Dead plot and plan a way to extinguish all life in an act of reverence to their Missing God. This is an age of change,

It’s not a bad idea.

RANDOM CRAP!

- I’ll be finishing Cabal today. It’s as good as I remember it. I’ll be watching Nightbreed next Monday.
- Crazy tired. I’m seriously crazy tired. I almost fell asleep during work yesterday; I struggled on the ride home, and tried to take a nap when I got home. Thing is the moment I wanted to sleep I was sort of awake. It was very frustrating. I went to be early, and yet again didn’t really get good, solid sleep. So today I’m stuck just trying to stay focused, keep moving, and trying to be coherent, but desperately wanting to be in the midst of dreams.
- I’m plowing through Warrior Heroes, and thus far I’m beyond impressed. The system is easy, and the possibilities are endless. I’m looking forward to getting a campaign started.
- Nothing says desperation like vacuuming in the morning.
- Now that there has been a bit of ‘cooling off’ period I’m sending out the Marvel SAGA e-mail to see if we will return to our campaign. If we don’t I still have the Wrestling RPG, D&D, Warrior Heroes, Sci-Fi Basement War, Gamma World, etc. to tide me over.

Gah…

“My tendency
for dependency
Is offending me
It's upending me
I'm pretending see
To be strong and free
From my dependency
It's warping me

So much love
So rare to dare
Afraid of
Ever being there
Take me home
I need repair
Take me please
To anywhere

Descend
all the way
all the way
Everyday
Warped
and scared
Of
being
there

Descended from
Demented men
Struggle with
The art of Zen
Please don't look
Too close at me
You might not like
What you see

Descend
all the way
all the way
Everyday
Warped
and scared
Of
being
there

Night craving
Sends me crawling oh
Beg for mercy
Does it show
A vacancy
That's full of holes
Hold me please
I'm feeling cold

Descend
all the way
all the way
Everyday
Warped
and scared
Of
being
there”



* = Heidi is right in a perfect world this would be my headboard.

1 comment:

  1. You know, it took me opening this blog a second time before I noticed that the tree looks like the profile of someone's head. I can't believe I missed that!

    ReplyDelete