Monday, October 3, 2011

Sphere Vs. A Man Apart


* = Ah Monday, bane of my existence...

This blog today is not done out of necessity to stave off soul crushing, it’s not to bitch and moan about all the things that frustrate yours truly, and it’s not because I have ‘so’ much to talk about. No, today is done at the request of Dave. I’m not sure why Dave needed the ‘nookie blankie’ of the blog today, but who am I to deny my compradre, my cohort, and my coconspirator? So Dave, this one’s for you pal.


Saturday night Cassandra and I finished the most current season of Doctor Who (**** ¼ out of 5).

I have to say Moffet never promised us R.T.D.’s style of season by season storytelling, he never promised to give us all the answers, and if nothing else I don’t remember him saying he was going to spoon feed us something easy to digest. In fact THAT is why I’m loving Moffet. Under his regime, Who has been elevated into something akin to a comic book. It’s decompressed storytelling, and while I find that maddening in my funny books, I’m finding it sublime on my television. SPOILERS, see I’ve alerted you, so if you don’t want to know, then don’t read for a bit. Ok, still with me? Good. We still don’t know what “The Question” is. We still don’t really know what The Silence’s agenda is besides ‘silencingThe Doctor. We don’t know where Rory, Amy, and River Song really stand with The Doctor. I mean we know now that The Doctor and River are married, and doing ‘special things’ at night when he sneaks her out of Stormcage, but are they going to adventure together, is he going to try and change her future (like avoiding her demise in The Library), do they have kids? Which also brings me to ask what about The Doctor’s Daughter, who is still flying around space, & what about The Doctor that was made of The Flesh? They both are still running around in space and time doing gawd’s knows what. What I’m saying is, for every answer Moffet gives us he asks five more questions. The last three minutes of the season finale was beyond gratifying and wonderfully exciting/frustrating because I know we have to wait till next year for any type of payoff! GAWDS I LOVE THIS SHOW! Ok SPOILERS off. All I can say is it’s a good, very GOOD, time to be a Whovian.

* = It's funny but I find my marriage works like this as well...

Anywho...

Sunday was the ‘Civil War’ in my home; Vikings at Chiefs. So it was 0 & 3 versus 0 & 3. Both teams have been a bit of a car wreck. The Chiefs have a crap ton of injuries and I really feel are missing Charlie Wiesz a lot more than I expected. The Vikings are a team in need of a makeover quickly. It was an entertaining game, but it has shown that the Vikes offensive line is bad, Donovan McNabb is at best a mediocre game manager, and that defensive secondary is terrible.

As for the Chiefs; they still lack another corner, the linebackers beyond Derrick Johnson are at best ordinary, the offensive line is young and needs some time to gel, and I’m not sold on Matt Cassell OR Todd Haley as the QB or Head Coach respectively. The difference is the Chiefs can still, most likely, go .500 the remainder of the season, while the Vikes are in trouble. Their division boasts the only two undefeated teams remaining; they still have a rough out of conference schedule left, so we might be looking at a 2 and 14 type of year. The GOOD news is that puts them in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. SO I will be rooting for the Vikings to lose this rest of their games, because I’d really like to see them get ‘Lucky’, get it? It was a pun. It’ll be tough to watch, tough to enjoy, but you know I’m ok with that. Its just football. It’s a nice distraction on lazy Sundays. So chin up David, this is the lean time before they turn it around and make Liz’s sweatshirt all it could be.

I finished The Hastur Cycle (**** out of 5) this morning before work.

I found this and another old out of print Chaosium compilation all dealing with the various Cthulhu Mythos tales of ‘Him Who Is Not To Be Named’. Oh and for those of you ‘Potter Lovers’ out there, that was Hastur’s title LONG before there was a Voldemort. So this compilation covers the works of authors like Bierce, Chambers, Lovecraft, & Derleth to name a few all concerning The King In Yellow. If you’re looking for an over-arching narrative, you won’t find it. In fact you’ll find quiet a bit of contradictory ‘mythology’ here regarding this member of the Cthulu Mythos. It’s not to say it’s not enjoyable, because it is, but it really is just a collection of strange tales with a strand of common ground between them.

Speaking of dread Carcosa, how ‘bout some dread…

RANDOM CRAP!

- I started painting again this weekend. The goal of ten a week is back in effect. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to pull it off, but I already have two done just from about an hour last night. Right now I’m working on some nasty Drow for my D&D Campaign, although I’ll not reveal WHICH of the two campaigns it’s for. I might take a stab at some Orcs tonight or maybe some Goblins.
- The Detroit Lions are for real. That is a sentence I never thought I’d ever write.
- Speaking of Goblins, here is a preview of Pathfinder’s pre-painted Goblins;

I really dig them, but then again I love Wayne Reynolds design work. I mean c’mon how can you not dig the Paizo Goblins when they have this little song they sing;
‘Goblins chew and goblins bite,
Goblins cut and goblins fight,
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!
Goblins race and goblins jump,
Goblins slash and goblins bump,
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!
Chase the baby, catch the pup,
Bonk the head to shut it up!
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We the goblins—you the food!’


- Hockey Night In The Basement starts a week from tomorrow. I’ve got to find a flannel to match my mullet wig so I can ‘Canadian’ myself up enough to enjoy the experience.
- Busy weekend on the horizon with a trip to ‘The Cloud’ for Halloween costume creation and the Seany Bear’s birthday. Then it’s BACK to ‘The Park’ for D&D on Sunday, and what promises to be a plethora of Zombie killing. I like this time of year a lot, but this last weekend I was blessed enough to spend it’s entirety with my lovely wife, just her, and it was perfect. I need to find the balance between the busy bustle of friends, family, travel, games, and just that blissful time where it’s just her and I hanging out.
- Yesterday we grilled pork chops and they were outstanding. I mean some of the best chops I’ve ever eaten. I just thought you should know that.
- This day is going insanely fast. I was worried when I first got up this morning that it was going to drag, but damn if I’m instead trying to cram a ton of stuff into a short period of time. I guess this bodes well for me getting home and doing a bit of painting tonight. Who knows I might even get two or three more minis done tonight!

And with that I’m back to it…

"I'm waiting for the rain to come
I'm waiting for the light to go
My hands are shaking, my eyes are dry
I'm waiting for the clouds to cover up the sky

”One day the night will never end
One day the sun will burn away
No bells will ring, no children sing
They're gonna pull my body from the ground that day

The ghosts from space
Have burrowed in my face
They name their price
Inside a block of ice
The ghosts from space
Have burrowed in my face
They name their price
Inside a block of ice

I'm waiting for the rain to come
I'm waiting for the light to go
My hands are shaking, my eyes are dry
I'm waiting for the clouds to cover up the sky

The ghosts from space
Have burrowed in my face
They name their price
Inside a block of ice
The ghosts from space
Have burrowed in my face
They name their price
Inside a block of ice

Space.. ghosts...
Ghosts... ghosts”



* = That's for you David, just for you...

2 comments:

  1. But we do know the question. "Doctor who?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we just have to wait for the ANSWER! The wait between shows is almost unbearable.

    ReplyDelete