* = Truer words were perhaps never uttered...
What the F’? Weekends are supposed to be relaxing, this one was just chaotic. I have to admit though; it was type of organized chaos that I enjoy. Friday night we put some of the personal strife my P.L.P. is suffering through and had a Movie-A-Thon of insane proportions. First up was 1980’s Karate ‘Disasterpiece’, Kill Or Be Killed (3 & a ½ Whispering Penis Strikes Out Of Five).
The second flick was something pretty recent in the Nazi-splotation flick Iron Sky (4 Black Astronauts out of 5).
On Saturday night we went out with our new friend Mick, and pulled Dave in tow, to some Karaoke. I have to admit right off the bat that I never need set foot inside a VFW again. A lot of the time I love to people watch, but some people don’t need to be watched. Somethings man was not meant to know, that is how I felt at our first stop. It was like staring into the face of Iola, into that deep abyss, only to have it stare back. I still shudder. Anywho, we then set off to NE Minneapolis to a place called Moose On Monroe. I’m not a Karaoke guy. I can’t sing to save my soul, I don’t dance, and I know this will be a shock to those that know me, I don’t care for embarrassing myself in public that often. However I like to hang out so we figured what the hell. First off, Mick can F’Ning sing. She has an amazing voice and seems to have no problem attacking very difficult songs. Secondly, Dave is no slouch. He hammered out some great tunes as well. Thirdly, it seems that Karaoke is even more fun when there is hyped up drunken people with moustaches around screaming and yelling CONSTANTLY. These were the life lessons I learned Saturday night. It was a solid time. The bar’s mood shifted drastically right around the time we left, which was fine. It’s strange for me to be in that type of setting seeing as since having my face caved in like 7 years ago I tend to shun bars like the plague, as well as adhering to what I was told by my Grandfather in college, “Nothing good can happen to you being out after 11pm”. It’s always good to make new friends, it’s always fun to stretch your comfort level a bit, and it’s pretty ‘tits’ to see Dave get macked on, so all in all a fantastic night. Oh and by the way, Cassandra looked amazing!
Seriously, she blew me away. And NO, that it is not a blow job reference David.
Yesterday we went out to my In-Law’s campsite for a sweaty dinner. It was a nice time, but the ‘bleag’ weather made most of my thoughts constantly turn to getting back home. The other thing is I’m not a camping guy. I never have been, and most likely never will be. I like camp fires, grilled food, exchanging tall tales, and even fishing, but I don’t have any desire to set aside time in my life to plan these things or sleep in other places beyond my own bed. In my soon to be pink bedroom. That’s just how I roll.
I also was able to get some reading completed this weekend. First I finished my first ever Doctor Who novel, Mark Morris’ Ghosts Of India (** ½ TARDIS’ out of 5).
On a vastly different note I finished Dan Abnett’s Warhammer Fantasy book Riders Of The Dead (*** ½ out of 5).
After all the gallivanting around this weekend I spent most of my ‘me’ time watching a CRAP TON of Doctor Who! Here’s what I digested;
- The Power Of The Daleks (**** out of 5) –
- The Highlanders (*** out of 5) –
- The Underwater Menace (**** * out of 5) –
- The Moonbase (Infinite *’s out of 5) –
It was another week so we’re down to the penultimate Rise Of The Runelords preview!
The last thing I’m mulling over is re-reading the Warrior Heroes rulebook and trying to get maybe Dave to play. The beauty of this game is you can play solo. It has a Mass Battle rule set as well as an Adventure/Exploration/Skirmish level as well. You play in seasons and it builds in its own stories, which is a MASSIVELY appealing portion of the rules. I want to build the setting using Small World, then go from there. Maybe play once or twice a month, and tell some Epic stories of HIGH ADVENTURE! So is anyone out there interested?
If not that’s cool too, I’ll just play with myself. Insert Masturbation Joke Here. Well I know no matter what at least we’ll always have…
- The Chili gauntlet has been thrown. We need to figure out a gluten free Chili to have with Mike, Emily, and Dave as soon as possible. In addition it looks like in February we might have a Chili Cook-Off. At least that’s the scuttlebutt.
- I’m over halfway through my day and the next 3 and a half hours should be nigh unbearable.
- We have five days off starting Wednesday and I’m going to do everything in my considerable power to sleep in at least two of those days. And by sleeping in I mean until after 7am, I’m talking like 10am. I don’t care if it requires alcohol, pills, or a stiff chair shot to the dome, I desire SLEEP!
- It’s about two weeks till D&D and I’m wringing my hands in maniacal glee.
- I’d like to do a Movie-A-Thon in the very near future featuring; Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon, The Whisperer In Darkness, & Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. I think all three are strange enough to be enjoyed by the peeps. My only concern is they aren’t necessarily ‘Bad’ enough to be ‘Good’. Either that or we finally go with Dave’s often whispered about Sybil Danning-A-Thon.
- F’ you summer, F’ you right in the A’.
- Right now I’m so hopped on coffee that I’m spazzing out. My brain is on fire with ideas and possibilities for Warrior Heroes. The possibilities of D&D after our next session have my imagination abuzz. And all I want to do is day dream. I wish I had a place that paid me that was more conducive to goofing off.
- Don’t run from the Reverse Dennehy, EMBRACE IT!
Well eating these ‘samiches’ ain’t going to happen if I’m typing…
“When we were young I called you friend
But then one day that had to end
you broke me down, made me feel low
After all this time I thought you should know
You're lucky to still be alive
But my strength of will helped me to survive
you see it on the news today
When pushed too far someone has to pay
But life goes on and made me who I am
And some scars remain from boy to man
And looking back now on foolish childish ways
If my thoughts turned to action would we be here today
Now every time I hear something's gone wrong with you
It gives me satisfaction, I can't feel bad for you
What makes you think that I want to be friends with you?
Don't you remember all that shit that you put me through?
I can't believe that you forgot all you did to me
With friends like you I don't need an enemy”
* = See David, even Santa hates that shit. Who are you to argue with Santa? WHO!