Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Leviathan Vs. Deep Six Nine

* = Bryan Danielson is there any lesson your wit, wisdom, and beard can't teach us?  The answer is NO!

The STAYCATION was amazing. It was truly incredible. We did very little of substance, but we had a good time with friends, played some board games, and then spent some quality time just the two of us. It was a good way to recharge our batteries. Surprisingly enough though the moment I returned to the place that pays me I had no other desire than to leave. I think that sometimes a strong dose of something that fun only makes what you have to do all the more annoying.

Life goes on though and I have bills to pay. I did have the opportunity though to finish a few books that I’d been diligently working on. The first one was Troy Denning’s ‘The Return Of The Archwizards’ (** ½ out of 5).
There is a reason I keep my reading in the Forgotten Realms setting to a minimum. The fact is there are WAY too many extremely powerful characters that are completely unlikable. This book is completely full of them, like chock full. I liked the story itself to be honest. An ancient enemy is freed, while a more subtle enemy makes its return in the guise of a savior. The world descends into war and as alliances shift and diplomacy fails only the will and bravery of a few will decide the fate of the Realms. It has a good epic feel to it, and therein lays one of the problems everyone and everything is so damn powerful that at no point did I feel like there was a connection point. To be honest I can’t even remember the main protagonists name, but even his love triangle doesn’t even really end it just becomes this strange polyamorous thing. He seems to be a character without a real center, sort of a story fulfilling cypher to nothing. He, in the end, just becomes forgettable. This book ends up feeling like a poorly constructed ‘Event Comic’; too much going on, no real direction, a whole lot of mindless fighting, and an ending that only feels like it is an introduction to another tale. In the end I’m glad I read it, as I’ll be using some of the ideas for my Shadar-Kai in the 3rd D&D Group, but overall it was a disappointment.

On the flips side I finally finished Mark Z. Danielewski’s ‘House Of Leaves’ (Infinite *’s out of 5).
I’ve been struggling with how to describe this book. I’m not sure any words I ever speak, write, or think about this book will ever do it justice. The mutability of this tome only adds to its mystery. It is what you want it to be. For me it is a terrifying horror tale, a beautiful and tragic love story, a glimpse into someone’s madness, a heartbreaking look into how a family is torn asunder, and so much more. This book is meant to disorientate, to put you on edge, force you to think and examine every detail, and make you desire and yet dread the flipping of the next page. In a book so full of bleak darkness the writing is so lush it is overwhelming at points. It never ceases to be amazing. Honestly I’m not even sure I understood every piece of minutia in this mammoth book, I don’t think that when I eventually re-read it I’ll figure out those mysteries, but that might be the appeal. You can revisit a book like this and take something away from it every time. This book inspired me, gave me nightmares, made me cry, made me laugh, and warmed my heart at points. I will never look at a dark hallway the same way again, ever. That might be the best compliment I can pay this book, it will stay with you, it will inspire you, and it will make you think. READ IT!

Another week another Skull & Shackles preview!
First up this week is the Golden Guardian. This is some strange six legged beastie that I am unfamiliar with. I have to be honest here I don’t like it. It looks and feels a bit too goofy for my tastes. I like the pose, it has action in those extra limbs coming up to eviscerate you, and the mouth has some sort of hungry smirk, but it still leaves me cold. And it isn’t the color either; the paint job is rock solid. There is some good shading from dark to light, the face is painted very well, and it has ‘shadow’ to it. For whatever reason I don’t dig on it, I think in the end it’s just the monster itself. I can’t get behind the visual representation, thus it is a PASS for me.
Next up is Jakaw, a Kenku Pirate! This has all the elements I was looking for in this set; A) It’s a Pirate B) It has a great sculpt C) It’s not a Human D) ALL OF THE ABOVE! I like Kenkus a lot, and have been using them in my games the last few years; this one will be PERFECT for the 2nd D&D Group. Looking at the miniature itself it has some action to the pose with the weight moving to its front foot as if it’s getting ready to cut you down. I dig the two blades and how they are exotic designs. The paint job is rock solid. The bright against the black of the feathers really causes it to pop out. Unfortunately I think it is a Rare piece, which is a shame. Overall this is a miniature that I’m going to try very hard to get my hands on it is a MUST BUY!
Last, but not least is the Duppy. That name is awful. Seriously, it is terrible. However, the idea of the monster, a sailor who died on land, is AMAZING! The miniature is one of the best I’ve seen. Look at the detail in the clear plastic! Coming out of the bottom are baying hounds, the pirate’s hands are solidifying, and it is looming in to take you to your DOOM! This piece is outstanding. The sculpt has incredible movement to it, the paint is minimal but with the translucent plastic really gives it a ton of depth, and the concept is jaw dropping. I need this miniature. This one should be a MUST BUY for any and every one.

Sunday night Cassandra and I finished Season 7 of Doctor Who (***** out of 5).
SPOILERS are on, so if you aren't caught up then stop reading.  You have been warned.  Every once in a while I get to the point where I wonder where ‘The Moff’ is going to take us, I start to doubt. THEN he crushes me with an incredible tale like ‘Hide’. The tone of the show has shifted dramatically with the Doctor having erased himself by and large from the galactic consciousness giving us smaller adventurers where the stakes seem so much higher. Don’t get me wrong Russell T. Davies’ style of Grant Morrison hyper adventure and pan-galactic stakes are AMAZING, however what we are getting now is an extension of what we had with the Ponds, more intimate tales. Clara as the ‘Impossible Girl’ finally makes sense, brilliant and sad sense. It also leaves us wondering how and if this will tie into the 50th Anniversary. I also have to point out that I adored Neil Gaiman’s ‘Nightmare In Silver’ episode. He did indeed make the Cybermen frightening again. Warwick Davis as the Emperor Of Mankind was an inspired casting choice. The whole thing felt like it was sort of mocking Warhammer 40K in a way and I loved every second of it. In the end we did NOT learn the name of the Doctor and I am happy with that. We did get a resolution, a touching one, to River Song. All that and in the end we see a NEW version of the Doctor, one that I am beyond excited about. Nothing is a better cliffhanger than “And Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor”! Damn you ‘Moff’ you are too amazing. This fall can’t come fast enough.

How about we wrap this exercise up with some…

RANDOM CRAP!

- The 3rd D&D Group starts tomorrow night. I have been hard at work figuring out the Hex Map, coming up with potential encounters, randomizers, and thinking of ‘set pieces’. The thing is I am FAR less excited about that than I am the Role Playing with this group which has all the potential to be outstanding. My hopes are high, my phasers are set for FUN, and tomorrow we’ll jump into that unknown together.

- Joe thanks for finding those two tomes for me, I can’t tell you how much help that is.

- Last night my lovely wife made some amazing Sriracha & Honey Chicken. It was succulent, spicy, and slightly sweet. I can’t wait to have it again.

- Diamond Dave Wheeler is BACK in Minnesota! Even though the creative titan from Mindblow Studios will be in Texas over the weekend it sounds as if we will be diving headlong into some fun next week. I can’t wait to show him WWE ’13.

- Movie-A-Thon and Fire Pit on Saturday night. Mike and I have chosen two amazing flicks from the 80’s. After we survive those flicks we’ll head outside, weather permitting, for a fire. Along with fall this is my favorite time of year.

- If the weather would lighten up I’d grill. Perhaps this weekend.

- The Deadzone Kickstarter has four days remaining. Four days for you to go and GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY! Seriously, Mighty Mike and I want more stuff.

- Holy CRAP!
Look at that lovely Kraken! It is AMAZING. That is the old DDM GINORMOUS Red Dragon. That thing is like the size of a toddler. You add the Kraken in for scale comparison AND that giant tentacle and you have a really cool visual. This monstrosity will be one of the mainstays of the 2nd D&D Group’s campaign. That paint job doesn’t disappoint either, it’s just a gorgeous miniature and worth EVERY penny I paid for it.



If that wasn’t enough we also got a little comparison shot of the Firbolg Skeleton as well. In the back is another Giant, a Frost Giant to be exact. In front is a medium Human Fighter, and to the side a small Goblin Cutter. I love the paint choices, they pop and give the thing a nice look even if the sculpt is slightly static. And yet I do love the sculpt; there is a lot of detail screaming out in the face and in those clothes. Dungeon Crawl Miniatures does not F’ around, they continue to ensure that I will be giving them my cash for years to come. Those miniatures can’t get here fast enough.

That’s all I got today…

“These are my famous last words!
My number's up, bridges well, burned

Oh, won't you let me twist your faith
It's getting kinda late but I don't wanna wait no more
Oh may I have this dance of days
Locked in your embrace
Passed your test of faith

Another time another place
Another line upon your face
Another in your way

Down crooked stairs and sideways glances
Comes the king of second chances
Now throw him in the flame

Whatever keeps you warm at night
(Whatever keeps you warm at night)
Whatever keeps you warm inside

Your bridges are burning down
They're all coming down
It's all coming round
You're burning them down
It's all coming round
They're all coming down
Your bridges are burning now

Oh let me put you in your place
I love it when you say
Giving everything away

Tell now what's in it for me
Tell me now what's in it for me
No one's getting this for free
Tell me now what's in it for me

Whatever keeps you warm at night
(Whatever keeps you warm at night)
Whatever keeps you warm inside

Your bridges are burning down
They're all coming down
It's all coming round
You're burning them down
It's all coming round
They're all coming down
Your bridges are burning down

Gather in the ashes
Everything thrown away
Gather in the ashes
Scatter as they blow away
Gather in the ashes
Everything thrown away
Gather in the ashes
Scatter as they blow away

Your bridges are burning down
They're all coming down
It's all coming round
You're burning them down
It's all coming round
They're all coming down
They're all coming down

Gather in the ashes (Your bridges are burning down)
Everything thrown away (They're all coming down)
Gather in the ashes(It's all coming round)
Scatter as they blow away

Gather in the ashes (You're burning them down)
Everything thrown away (It’s all coming round)
Gather in the ashes (They're all coming round)
Scatter as they blow away
Your bridges are burning down.”



* = Its true, I AM!




No comments:

Post a Comment