Thursday, June 20, 2013

Touching The Void Vs. The Crimson Rivers


* = He’s not the Captain America you need, he’s the Captain America you WANT!

I had some free time today based on my ability to overcompensate last month on projects. I thought what the hell I might as well do a bit of blogging. The thing is I am still unsure what to really yammer on about. I have some personal things going on, but they aren’t something I feel the need to involve the internet in; I know that IS a surprise. I don’t have anything to review currently as I haven’t finished a book in like two weeks, SHOCKING! And there aren’t any new miniatures out there for me to show and talk about. So I think I’ll talk about my other favorite subject, D&D!

We’re trying to get the July date settled for 1st Group. Zack is still in the DM’s chair as he’s in the process of his Iskander’s Dungeon story. Going a bit behind the screen I think we missed a major plot opportunity last session with Mick being out sick. I can’t go into detail, but it would have moved things in an interesting direction. I am enjoying playing immensely and am curious how Jericho will fair after all this is over, IF he survives. It also seems like we might have a new player joining this group as well, Diamond Dave! This would cap out this group as far as size, but it would also give us another newer player with a crazy imagination at the table.

As far as where things are headed after Zack and I switch places again I’m loathe giving too many details. I will say that a lot of it will depend on where Syd is at the end of all this. If Zack offs him then I’ll have to make some adjustments to my ‘Meta-Plot’, but I won’t be heartbroken. He was Zack’s character to start with and if wants to end him then I’m fine with that. However if he does survive I plan on him being a MAJOR thorn in the side of the world at large. Not to mention the 1st Group would have to deal with the consequences of thousands of Drow Clones dropping to the planet, the sun being blocked out, and that ominous blinking red light in orbit. Couple all that with my current infatuation with the Five Baronies as a setting and I think I need to rethink the rest of the Paragon Tier.

2nd Group meets again, after a month hiatus, this Saturday. The last time we met Gleb was killed by Goblin Cannibals and there was an overall consensus that I had shifted the tone and difficulty level to a place that really wasn’t fun for anyone. I think I’ve rectified that. I’m shooting for a more Indiana Jones-ish flavor this weekend. I’m going to try and remind myself to encourage rather than stifle creativity and inject some fun. Zack will get to introduce his new character, and I think I have a good way of pulling off this as well. I’ve already taken into account the ‘2nd Great Darkness’ that the 1st Group helped set in motion and how it will affect the world and more importantly 2nd Group’s foray into the Library Of Erathis.
With 2nd Group we are so early into things that the mood hasn’t been fully established and I really have a chance to pull it back from the brink I placed it on last session. It’s going to require me getting inventive though. I think I’ve currently got a handle on it, but I’ve got to start thinking about what is on the horizon. I’m looking forward to a LOT of battles at sea, Ghoul Pirates, a truly METAL concert, a living Dungeon, a Vampire ‘Underground Railroad’, and some other possible twists and turns. Saturday night I’m establishing some momentum so any players who read this hold onto your dice bags!

Lastly is 3rd Group which was off last month due to Plumbing Fiasco 2013. It sounds like we are going to be down a member and yet are getting at least one new player if not two. This has been the most difficult group to sort of plot and plan for. Running an ‘Evil’ campaign has been really challenging, running one that is essentially a hex crawl has been REALLY difficult. It is stretching my mind in a way that I hope will benefit all the groups. It is also continuing the thread from the 1st Group that has been running through my head, “What is the nature of Evil?” Running a group capable of horrific deeds and yet so damn likable reminds me a lot of why Syd was such a fantastic PC and now just as fun as the main antagonist.

I’m starting to populate more and more hexes on my poorly drawn map, more and more opportunities for the group to figure out just who is the leader, what they hope to accomplish as a whole in the Underdark, and to push them morally. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens when they wander into the Hungry Forest, run across their first war party of Pig-Faced Orcs, try to sail the Sea Of Shadows, trade with the Drahjar, or meet the Crusaders Of Light. The best part about the 3rd Group is the uncertainty within the group may end up being more dangerous than anything I could ever throw at them.

That was a lot of D&D where I said very little. Oh well, here’s your…

RANDOM CRAP!

- So the big reveal to Age Of Ultron is a Marvel ‘Multi-verse’, but Bendis has said not a ‘Crisis On Infinite Earths’.
I avoided Age Of Ultron. Mainly because I have ‘Comic Event Fatigue’, and while I think Bendis is a great idea man (“Remember F*&@ Mountain Michael?”) I find his execution to be mediocre at best. DC has left me disenfranchised overall with the New 52, with rare exceptions I’m just sort of ‘over it’. Marvel has pushed its envelope, but it just runs from Event to Event to Event with none of them really doing much for me as a reader. The reality is I dont' care that Galactus is now in the Ultimate Universe, bringing in Angela to the Marvel Universe Proper does nothing for me, Wolverine killed Hank Pym but he didn't big deal he's always been a murderer.  You couple these with the rest of the "THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME" carnival barker things that Marvel's hype machine continually throw at us and I just find myself not caring.  At all.  I’m beginning to think neither of the Big Two has anything left to offer me as a reader.

- I’m going to have to grill this weekend.

- I’ve converted one of my co-workers into an Archer fan, and now found out the person I share a wall with is an AVID Venture Brothers fan. It is always cool to find out how many of us out there are into the hardcore Nerdery. Even in a stifling office environment it turns out WE ARE LEGION.

- CM Punk’s new Wolverine look is fantastic.
We watched RAW with Diamond Dave on Monday evening and it was a blast. It’s nice to watch ‘Rasslin’ with someone who gets the very subtle parts of it, but also wallows in its ‘redunkulousness’. The Mark Henry swerve was FANTASTIC! And although the man’s heart does NOT pump any Kool-Aid that Salmon colored suit jacket might. Best of all we got a continuation of the Ziggler & Del Rio double turn, more Wyatt Family promos, AND our first look at Lesner Vs. Punk! I could get used to this on my Monday nights.

- I really need to play Lords Of Waterdeep soon.

- On a side note from Monday night, THANK YOU to Diamond Dave. It is one thing to give me an incredible bag of swag from your internship in L.A., it is entirely another to make me an Action Figure of myself as a Luchadore. That is just, well it is amazing. Thank you sir.

- The right knee is a mess. I’m not sure why.

- Reaper has put up a Bones Kickstarter packages sent tracker on their website. I have yet to get my shipping confirmation, but am thinking it’ll be in the next week or so. The more I look at what I’ve got coming my way the more giddy and yet intimidated I get. I’m excited because there is SO much good stuff in there, but there is also SO much insanely cool stuff that I don’t want to mess it up with my ‘meh’ painting skills. I’m thinking Sunday I might try and spend some time painting, I’ve got to get my skills back up even to their crappy level.

- If you aren’t watching Season 5 of The Venture Brothers then I feel sorry for you.

- I’m still brainstorming my comic idea although I’ve backed up the script writing. I really have found that I would need someone to collaborate with as I see my limitations being too large for me to overcome. It’s funny I can hammer out these D&D ideas and even the basic ideas of the comic series itself, but the detail are FAR more difficult. With D&D I leave those gaps purposefully so I can jump and improvise my little heart out. With this style or writing you can’t do that, it is something I’m going to have to work on.

- C’mon thunderstorms!

I think that’s all you and I can both tolerate today…

“Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop

Don't let me hear you say life’s taking you nowhere, angel
Come get up my baby
Look at that sky, life’s begun
Nights are warm and the days are young
Come get up my baby

There's my baby, lost that's all
Once I’m begging you save her little soul
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Come get up my baby

Last night they loved you, opening doors and pulling some strings, angel
Come get up my baby
In walked luck and you looked in time
Never look back, walk tall, act fine
Come get up my baby

I’ll stick with you baby for a thousand years
Nothings gonna touch you in these golden years, gold
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Come get up my baby

Some of these days, and it won’t be long
Gonna drive back down where you once belonged
In the back of a dream car twenty foot long
Don't cry my sweet, don't break my heart
Doing all right, but you gotta get smart
Wish upon, wish upon, day upon day, I believe oh lord
I believe all the way
Come get up my baby
Run for the shadows, run for the shadows, run for the shadows in these golden years

There's my baby, lost that's all
Once I’m begging you save her little soul
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Come get up my baby

Don't let me hear you say life’s taking you nowhere, angel
Come get up my baby
Run for the shadows, run for the shadows
Run for the shadows in these golden years

I’ll stick with you baby for a thousand years
Nothings gonna touch you in these golden years, gold
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop
Golden years, gold whop whop whop”



* = It’s good to know that I’ve inspired Mohawks states away. It must be in the blood…

No comments:

Post a Comment