Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken Run Vs. Terror From The Year 5,000

Sunday was a purely blissful experience as my beautiful wife and I slept in, did some work outside, grilled, and watched a couple of flicks;
- Monsters Vs. Aliens (** ½ out of 5) – I’m a sucker for aliens. I’m a sucker for monsters. Hell I’m a sucker of Rainn Wilson. Then why was this movie just o.k.? It wasn’t bad; it just didn’t blow me away. It did however make me long for an animated Doom Patrol movie, as it had a tad bit of an underlying classic Doom Patrol vibe, not as much as the last season of Teen Titans which was AWESOME in it’s depiction of DC’s most misunderstood ‘heroes’. Unless I was with some kids I don’t think I’d sit through this one again.
- Get Smart (*** out of 5) – Let’s get a couple things straight; Steve Carrell is really funny, The Rock is insanely charismatic, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Anne Hathaway is hot. That’s right I said it. This was a fun little movie, especially since I wasn’t overly familiar with the old t.v. show. There is a surprising little spy movie in the middle of this comedy. Again it’s not great, and I’m not sure I’d watch it again, but it was a wonderfully fun way to waste an hour and forty-five minutes.
It was fantastic to eat some killer homemade lo mein, to do some classic cuddlin’ on the couch, and to just mentally unwind after Saturday night.

That’s right Saturday night. Saturday night was INSANE! We, being the D&D group and myself, finally finished Assault On Boradin’s Watch. FINALLY! This was to be Mary & Christina’s last D&D session for the foreseeable future, Mighty Mike had to leave early, Dave showed up late, BUT it didn’t matter, it just didn’t matter. The players were on fire tactically, they made all three encounters incredibly memorable, kept the pace high, and in the end played the game to it’s hilt. The final encounter was an epic moment. I can’t state enough how cool it was to have Mary (Sequilum, the Eladrin Fighter), Christina (Bernadette, the Dwarven Thief), Mike (Steev, the Human Ranger), Dave (Ulver, the Half-Elf Warlock), & Cassandra (Vanarr, the Half-Elf Paladin) actually out-think me on the battlefield, they took advantage of marking, they used their encounter and daily powers wisely, but more than that they worked as a team. That’s a HUGE. They put me in positions where I knew early in the battle that unless I just rolled insane I wasn’t going to ‘win’. That being said, they didn’t roll over me, mainly because the encounters were designed to be tough, and I tweaked them to be brutal. In addition the aftermath served to push them towards the next chapter of their ‘lives’ as they found themselves battered and beaten, but alive, in a sandy tomb. I cannot wait for next month to get knee deep into the next chapter Escape From The City That Shall Not Be Named!

Not a lot else going on so I’m going to hit you with some

RANDOM CRAP!

- I watched a documentary on Saturday morning; Heavy Metal In Baghdad (***** out of 5). It followed a metal band’s, Acrassicauda’s, journey during the invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq. A metal band trying to make it in a country where metal doesn’t exist and is thought of as evil. From living in a war zone, to having their shows stopped due to bombings, having their practice space hit by a missile, to finally having to flee their homeland to become refugees in Syria. Throughout the whole endeavor they are positive, with the exception of the last ten minutes, which hit me, as an American hard. It’s never fun to be reminded that in a lot of places around the world WE are the Bad Guys. Labeled that and rightfully so. It’s a great little documentary.
- The Richardson Writing Circle’s first tale seems to be rushing towards a climax. A bloody climax at that.
- Well KU is out of the Final Four and it has CRUSHED my soul. I’m happy for Northern Iowa, who played their asses off, but to be the number 1 overall seed and to get bounced in the second round is devastating. This KU team lacked intensity when they needed it, in fact by and large KU teams have always lacked intensity, I just hope Bill Self takes this and makes some adjustments. On a side note, I saw that Memphis had their 2008 season wiped off the records. I’m sure John “The Cheat” Calipari can’t come within five square miles of the city of Memphis. I hope Kentucky chokes.
- The health care bill sucks. It doesn’t go far enough, it’s too much of a settlement to special interest groups, like Trial Lawyers. It’s funny the Republicans are screaming that’s un-American, and they do have some additions that I really, REALLY like, like tort reform and interstate insurance purchasing options, BUT where were these ideas when this bill was getting pushed through. Oh and if you were being shut out, supposedly, by Nancy “the Face” Pelosi then how come you didn’t beat that drum on FOX News or in public rather than screaming “DEATH PANELS” & “BABY KILLERS”. Listen I don’t hate you, but I hate what you’ve come to represent; rich, white, entitled, fear mongering, war profiteers that want nothing more than to line their pockets with blood money and maintain the status quo. You have some good ideas, USE THEM! As for the Democrats, shame on you. Shame on you for taking something that has been the torch for like forty years and giving in to Labor Unions and Special Interest Groups in order to get literally nothing done. You claim this is change, you claim it will save money on the deficit, you claim it saves lives, my question is why think so small? Why allow unelected parties dictate how you are going to ‘change’ America? When did you become just as big of whores to the Lobbyist Pimps that rule this country? Now understand I’m not going to go all militia or join some thinly veiled lunatic fringe movement like the Tea Baggers, but the blinders are off. There is no hope. Or change for that matter. I often joke that we as a country are Rome in the decline, and now I say that with neither laughter nor a smile on my face. Oh and to racists, bigots, & crazies, both out and closeted, wow! You guys loves you some rallies. I’ve come to the conclusion that crazy people and haters of ALL persuasions enjoy large gathering where they can hate in groups and not be called on it. To see Health Care protesters verbally belittle and throw money, on camera I might add, at a dude with Parkinson’s who just happens to have a different opinion was classy with a capital “KKK”. To hear about protesters dropping the “N” Bomb on congressmen, or making wonderfully intelligent comments like “faggot” to Barnie Frank just makes me wonder all the more why these people have a hard time with figuring out just why they aren’t taken seriously. Being scared is hardly an excuse to regress to something akin to the Deep South in the 1950’s. What’s next burning crosses and lynchings? You don’t like things? Good, neither do I. But what I don’t do is set a bad example for young people or embarrass myself and lose my message in acting like an insane person. What happened to us, to Americans, hell to human beings? I can’t say I’m surprised, but it doesn’t change my disappointment.
- I miss football.
- The first season of Archer (***** out of 5) has finally come to a close. If you like humor, filthy humor, animation, spies, and top notch voice work then you need to get off your lazy asses and seek this out, it’s BRILLIANT!

Well while outrage is a great fuel, I need some fruit snacks to keep me going…

“You take my life but I'll take yours too
You fire your musket but I run you throughS
o when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back.

The bugle sounds - the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath
As I plunge on into certain death.

O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!

The horse he sweats with fear - we break to run
The mighty roar of the Russian guns
And as we race towards the human wall
The screams of pain as my comrades fall.

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And the Russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won't live to fight another day.

O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!

We get so close near enough to fight
When a Russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds take my horse below.

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body's numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan.

O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ohhh!”

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Archer yet, but it's on my list--I keep forgetting to watch it the night it airs. But one of these days, I'll get with the program, or I'll add it to the Netflix queue or something.

    I'm conflicted about the health care bill, too. I wish both parties would've tried harder to cooperate with each other--I hate how polarized everything seems to be. There are always going to be disagreements about politics but people seem to take everything so personally right now. Pundits (and regular people, too) are too busy making personal attacks to have a reasonable discussion about anything, or to compromise so everyone gets something they want. I'm definitely pro-reform, because I think our health care system has some serious, serious problems; but I agree with you that some tort reform is necessary, and I was embarrassed to see representatives inserting pork into the bill just to secure their votes. That seemed very small & petty to me.

    And don't even get me started on those protesters who were yelling the n-word at black members of Congress, and homophobic stuff at Barney Frank. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of behavior. If you disagree with someone's politics, fine, that's part of living in a democracy and you have every right to voice your opinion; but resorting to that kind of language is completely not-okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I'm pretty darn sure you'll love Archer, it's a hoot. Sure it's an oversexed, uber-violent hoot, but a hoot nonetheless.
    - I'm with you. You can't have na opinion anymore for fear of being tarred & feathered by some idiot who has thier entire identity tied to a political party. The bill doesn't do enough, and I know they keep saying it's a start, but my retort is a start to what? If they can insert pork, personal interests, and the ilk into a bill this polarizing then nothing is a sacred cow.
    - People have lost thier minds, it's plain and simple. I always thought that the 'good' in people would outweigh self interest, personal bias, and just out and out hate, but I was wrong. Small minded people who have only small minded things to say. It's no wonder we're so loved and admired world wide.

    ReplyDelete