Thursday, August 5, 2010

Marathon Man Vs. A River Runs Through It


* = If you have a soul then you'll go to Comic's Alliance and look at Chris Sims newest entry into his litany of greatness regarding article postings on Yahoo, it is sublime;
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/03/batman-1-comments/
Thank you Chris Sims for being Fantastic!

So yesterday I sat at home, once I finally awoke from my post-seizure slumber, and watched some flicks. Here’s what I thought;
- American Grindhouse (*** ½ out of 5) is a documentary on the ‘Grindhouse’ movie style and it’s evolution. It’s not a bad little documentary. I could have done with a bit less John Landis, whom I like and who ALWAYS gives a good quote, but left me a bit cold. The documentary needed a bit more diversity in whom they spoke to, not to mention where the hell was the section on Kung Fu movies. I know, I know they were not the domain of most American film studios, but some studios did have significant forays into that sub-genre and it is/was extremely important to the history of ‘Grindhouse’ cinema. Overall it was educational, entertaining, and more than a little interesting.
- Gentlemen Bronocs (**** out of 5) was the follow-up by Jared Hess to Nacho Libre (**** out of 5). I’m a fan of Mr. Hess, I dug Napoleon Dynamite (**** ½ out of 5), and was more than a little excited to see him working with Jemaine Clement of Flight Of The Conchords (********** out of 5) fame. This film flew under the radar a bit, so it took me a bit to track it down. I was not disappointed. It’s a weird, which is to be expected, little flick concerning a teenage writer who has his work exploited on various fronts, most notably by his writing hero and inspiration played by Clement, who is channeling the worst in self-important sci-fi writers to a “T”. The movie is interspersed with a “live action” version of the main character’s stolen story “Fungal Lords”. I laughed pretty consistently and hard at the ridiculousness of the entire flick as well as Clement as the main antagonist. Hess’ stuff isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoyed his other two “big” flicks then give this one a go.
- Nick & Nora’s Infinite Playlist (*** ½ out of 5) would most likely be defined as a guilty pleasure as I might be one of the only people in the world who has NOT grown tired of Michael Cera continuing to play slight variations on his Arrested Development (Infinite *’s out of 5) character George-Michael Bluth. So as always Cera plays a recently dumped bass player trying to get over his bad luck with the opposite sex. Sure it’s tried and true, but he does it well & opposite him is Kat Dennings who just looks fantastic. Like I said, it’s not Shakespeare, but it’s a nice little ‘watch with the significant’ other comedy.
- Bitchslap (**** out of 5) is a 'Catfight Modern Grindhouse' flick. It's low budget hiding behind green screens, angry hot lesbian chicks, NO nudity, and some big violence. In all honesty I really enjoyed this flick. I had figured out the ending quiet early on, but was a little surprised by the tiny twist about who lived & who died. I would make a fantastic addition to a 'Grindhouse' Movie-A-Thon line-up of Planet Terror & Black Dynamite as modern 'Grindhouse' fare. So if your up for some big, dirty fun this one is a keeper.

As restful as those flicks were, I’m flippin’ exhausted. I mean seriously beat. In fact I don’t think I’ve been this tired in my entire life. The last month or so has just left me wanting to find a cave to hibernate in. It’s not even as though life has been overly difficult, sure it’s trying at times, but no more so than anyone else’s existence. Whew, just writing that made me yawn. I need a hyperbolic chamber. Inside a castle, beneath a pool of $100 bills, protected by naked women. A guy can dream can’t he?

RANDOM CRAP!

- If I were rich I’d be at Gencon right now playin’ Castle Ravenloft.
- Last night Cassandra amazed me with her left over magic. The dinner was spectacular.
- If things go as planned tonight I’m going to stuff myself on Xin Xin and then the sleep of a 1,000 dreams.
- I’m hoping that in my dreams Brett Farve doesn’t send me text message pictures of penis. Sheesh…
- If Brett Farve shows me his cock & ballz in a dream he better wake up and apologize…
- Steve McQueen is back to normal, somewhat of a false alarm.

And with that I’ve got nothin’ left…

“Oh, that is just great. Now I'm expected to climb back on top of Kitty and do my thing again. I mean, this family runs into problems and it's "Oh, let's have Gob fuck our way out of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment