Thursday, January 20, 2011

Black Swan Vs. The Wrestler


* = Doubt Tom Hardy as Bane, go see Bronson!

I don’t have a ton of stuff to write about. I think I’m just trying to get back in the swing of things and the blog is sort of ‘nookie blankie’ that helps bring some normalcy. When things get abnormal I strive, NAY, cling to ‘normalcy’ like the governor in Alabama clings to his bible and guns. So the other night Cassandra was kind enough to indulge me TWO things, and no Dave I’m not talkin’ ‘bout “Business Time”.

First we watched an interesting little flick we had on the DVR, The Woods (**** ½ out of 5). This little flick came out a few years ago, 2006 or so I think, and flew under the radar. I had read about on some blog or another that had given it props, but the clincher was Bruce Campbell. That’s right ‘The Chin’ has a big role in this flick, so you know I was compelled to give it some time. Anywho, the premise is it’s the 1950’s and the girl is forced by her mother to attend a girl’s school after committing arson. Strange things are afoot, students go missing, and there is an old legend regarding the school, the woods around them, and some witches. I’m not going to give anything else away because I actually really enjoyed this film. Let me reassure some of you out there that are weak of stomach, this flick has very little to NO gore in it. It’s more of a creepy vibe with a decent twist, and a very satisfying ending. So if you are looking for something spine-tingling on a long winter night give The Woods a go.

The second thing we did was something that she and I had never done before we started a book together. The idea is to once a week take turns reading a chapter of an agreed upon book to each other, we are starting with Bram Stoker’s Dracula. It’s not really the best choice, since some of it is written in short hand, but it’s been massively enjoyable thus far. We’re already lining up our next book.

So unless you live under a rock you most likely heard that Christopher Nolan cast two more roles in his last Batman flick. Tom Hardy will be playing Bane and Ann Hathaway will be playing Selina Kyle, note that she wasn’t listed as Catwoman. Nolan has done a spectacular job thus far with this franchise and for those that are having a conniption regarding Bane they need to read a comic. In the comics Bane is the Anti-Batman; smart, resourceful, has a honor code, physically unstoppable, and a brilliant strategist. The difference is he has no moral compass and is completely and utterly ruthless. As for Hardy, I have yet to sit down and watch Inception, he’s utterly and completely brilliant in Bronson. In fact if he can take even half of the intensity and menace he exudes in that flick, as well as bulk up to that big again, he’ll be fantastic. If you watch Hardy in Bronson you might understand what I’m talking about. Hell Bronson himself, who is a real guy, could be a flippin’ Batman villain. It’s a crazy good flick, and gives me almost unrealistic levels of excitement of Hardy as Bane.

When it comes to Hathaway I think she’s gorgeous, she’s shown she can act, and this might be the roll that opens up new doors for her. She doesn’t have to don a Catwoman outfit for it to work since it’s been established that Selina Kyle is the illegitimate child of Carmine Falcone. Could it be that Falcone’s daughter comes back to Gotham for some revenge? Finally, I read that Darren Aronfsky will be taking over the Bat-franchise post Nolan. That is insane. And by insane I mean I’m completely on board. I’ll be very intrigued to see what Aronfsky does with his next flick the follow-up to the gawd awful Wolverine flick. I think this will be his chance to get his feet wet in the super hero genre.

February 15th, 2011 Wrath Of Ashardalon will be coming out, FINALLY!

So this is the next game in the new D&D board game series. I think, from what I’ve read and seen in previews so far they are taking a lot of the criticism of Castle Ravenloft and building forward. There are a lot of folks who H-A-T-E on that game, but I love it. So the idea that after being pushed back from November last year to next month the design team has busted ass in order to improve what, in my opinion, is a GREAT tool set for a board game has me excited. In fact it’s inspired me to rope in Anthony “I knowz Photoshop” J. into helping me finish my Domains of Dread adventure for Castle Ravenloft.

I think that’s enough prattle, how ‘bout some…

RANDOM CRAP!

- DDM is officially dead. Wargames Factory has undergone a hostile take-over. Games Workshop is suing Chapterhouse. What’s next, seriously?
- Rumor has it the basement is going to get painted this weekend. That means that then the new Television will be put up along with surround sound. So conceivably the next Movie-A-Thon might be in the basement with the fireplace on. That would be pimp.
- Why did the Zodiac change?
- I sent out a clarion call for D&D once a quarter to all the peeps. With the exception of Cassandra, Joe K., Duke offering to help DM from afar, & Heidi I got nothing thus far. NOTHING. I’m slightly disappointed actually. I thought that the D&D Campaign was going well; it was fun, well thought out, not to combat heavy, and had viable goals. I think it died once we lost Mary & Christina. That being said if I can just get 4 people to commit to once a quarter we could have a hell of a group. I’m looking at some Pathfinder stuff for adventure materials, maybe some of the D&D Crawl stuff I was working on pre-Castle Ravenloft, and some of the threads from the previous campaign to build something WORTH playing. I really hope this happens.
- “Fairly Secret Attack” is brilliant Dave. It’s so damn catchy.

And with that I’m done…

“I have this feeling that my luck is none too good
This sword here at my side don't act the way it should
Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
And it howls, it howls like hell

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be its killing tool

Black blade! Black blade!
Forged a billion years ago
Black blade! Black blade!
Killing so its power can grow

There's death from the beginning to the end of time
And I'm the cosmic champion and I hold a mystic sign
And the whole world's dying and the burdens mine
And the black sword keeps on killing 'til the end of time

Black blade! Black blade!
Bringing chaos to the world we know
Black blade! Black blade!
And its using me to kill my friends
Black blade! Black blade!
Getting stronger so the world will end
Black blade! Black blade!
Forcing my mind to bend and bend

The black blade
Forged a million billion years ago
My cosmic sword goes on for eternity
Carving out destiny
Bringing in the lords of chaos
Bringing up the beasts of Hades
Sucking out the souls of heroes
Laying waste to knights and ladies
My master is my slave
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!”



* = Charlie Bronson always has rope...

No comments:

Post a Comment