Monday, April 18, 2011
Black Death Vs. Jennifer's Body
* = Is it to much to ask to have Pho brought directly to me NOW!?
Why is the weekend never as long as you want it to be? Never. We were in “The Cloud” this weekend for Carla’s Bridal Shower. I however was able to avoid that and just hang out with Ant. Which I need to publicly thank him for taking me ASIAN HOUSE (Infinite *’s out of 5)! Oh and Char you were wrong it wasn’t code for Strip Club; it was however code for DELICIOUS! It was incredible. We dined on Pho, Chicken Pad-Thai, & some type of Chicken Curry. The food was outstanding, rich, and a bit spicy, in a word everything I want from a meal. We did it up ‘Family Style’ and gorged like famished vagabonds. It was outstanding. We had plans to either play Wrath Of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, &/or Death Angel. We did none of that. Instead we gleefully sleeved and organized cards for the game while watching a ton of episodes of Archer. You know, as much as it would have been fun to game, it was outstanding just to hang out and laugh. Thank you Ant for a kick-ass Saturday.
We then went out to the In-Laws house to catch the dying embers of the Bridal Shower, which was a hoot as my father-in-law was TANKED. We hung out, had a nice chat, drank a bit, ate some more, and just generally enjoyed our night before Cassandra and I headed home. The pulled pork my mom-in-law made in the Crockpot was amazing. It was almost like candied pork if you can believe that. I could and would eat that every day for the remainder of my earthly days. It was divine. I’m not sure if it was all the time in the car, stress, or what but my back was killing me. Then we got home and I broke the desk chair, which in turn shot me out of it like a hurtling mass of blubbering goo. Which in turn made my back really hurt. Suffice to say Sunday I woke up feeling much like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag.
Unfortunately yard work waits for no man. David & Liz were kind enough to allow us the use of their leaf blower/sucker. That thing is amazing. I went over to Dave’s to pick up said insane device and instead ended up spending like three hours hanging out. Which was pretty damn fantastic as he did some music editing, we talked tunes, and made plans for some Battle Lore games this week. I think we’re going to do up a Battle Lore campaign. I need a broad based war game to sort of break up the all the more adventure party games I play. It’ll be a nice change of pace with a great game.
Upon finally getting home we cleared some more of the yard, and again filled the bin so had to stop. It’s crazy how much room those vines took up, even more insane was even mulched how many leaves were on the side of the fence line and behind the garage. I do think that we had more there then we’ll end up in the front and back yard proper. You know I felt better afterwards, but was incredibly tired. So suffice to say no painting got done this weekend, maybe tonight. I did however read starting Lieber’s fourth Fahfrd and Grey Mouser book ‘Swords Against Wizardry’.
Speaking of books I finished Karl Edward Wagner’s Darkness Weaves (**** out of 5), which is one of his ‘Kane’ books. It was very different. I thought it was going to be sort of a Conan pastiche, I was wrong. See Kane isn’t even an anti-hero; he’s a straight up villain. The thing is he’s a villain with a moral code; I’d equate him with maybe Doctor Doom or Black Adam. He’ll cut off the head of your village and your family, but he’ll do it the whole time thinking he did the right thing. The story is well done, the Lovecraftian overtones are there, and the body count is high. I have to say that Wagner captured my attention with Kane and I’ll be looking for other tales of this very intriguing character.
- Dave played a cover of King Crimson he’s been working on for ‘The Letters’ and it along with the picture from last week has begun to galvanize my ideas for a Domains Of Dread adventure in the D&D Campaign. ‘The Lonely House’ will take place in the Shadowfell and if I can just hammer out the details and set the appropriate mood it has an insane amount of potential.
- The NFL Draft is a week from this Thursday. Dave?
- The Mohawk is back in full affect. You know I’ve gotten sort of accustomed to having it, which is slightly bizarre. I’m going to keep it till June then cut it for Carla’s wedding; I think it’ll be back to the shaved head then. Maybe I’ll bic it to look like a fat Lex Luthor for a bit.
- I can’t wait to finish the basement.
- I didn't watch Game Of Thrones yet. It's on the DVR and I'm looking forward to it.
- Suck it Lakers.
- Believe it or not I’m kind of looking forward to mowing. I’m not sure why. Maybe because we’re really trying hard to do some different things with the yard. It might be because it’s a fantastic alternative to shoveling snow. Or perhaps it’s because the smell of cut grass is what I equate with spring. Whatever it is I’m eagerly anticipating it.
- I have to admit I’m enjoying the Dragonlance book ‘Before The Mask’.
- The Driveway BURGER WAR has taken on a life of it’s own. I’m honestly shocked by the amount of people who are claiming not only that they are coming, but who are already screaming ‘VICTORY’. First things first, I’m very happy that we’ll have a monumental turnout, secondly I hope everyone brings something inventive and ‘tatty’ to the table, last but not least you all have NO CHANCE! I have the utmost confidence in my creation, and it will C-R-U-S-H-!
- I would jump through fire for some fried chicken right now.
Because I feel very excited about the upcoming season of Doctor Who here are a number of quotes from the last three Doctor’s. If this doesn’t get you excited about one of the best things to ever come from England than I’m afraid there is literally NO hope for you. NO HOPE!
“Do you wanna come with me? ‘Cause if you do, then I should warn you, you’re gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won’t be quiet, it won’t be safe, and it won’t be calm. But I’ll tell you what it will be… The trip of a lifetime!”
“You think it’ll last forever: people and cars and concrete. But it won’t. One day it’s all gone. Even the sky…”
“And if you wanna remember me, then you can do one thing. That’s all, one thing…… Have a good life.”
“I’m the Doctor. And if you don’t like that, if you want to take it to a higher authority, there isn’t one. It stops with me!”
“You can spend the rest of your life with me. But I can’t spend the rest of mine with you.”
“You weren’t there, in the final days of the War. You never saw what was born… Not just the Daleks, but the Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been-King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres. The War turned into Hell! … You see now? That’s what they were planning in the final days of the War. I had to stop them!”
“All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will… Where do you want to start?”
“I don’t look back. I can’t. But the last time I was dying, I looked back on all [my old traveling companions], every single one… And I was so proud.”
“There’s something you better understand about me, ’cause it’s important and one day your life may depend on it… I am definitely a madman with a box!”
“There’s one thing you never put in a trap. If you’re smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap…… ME.”
* = You can trust him he's The DOCTOR!