Thursday, April 14, 2011

First Knight Vs. Black Knight



Yesterday was gawd awful. The place that pays my bills was an utter disaster, so much so I found myself openly weeping in the car. I never realized how much I relied on my dad to vent about philosophy, about the world, & about the people in it. I had, and most likely don’t really have, an understanding of how much it meant to have a like minded person who would listen, who would give feedback, but more than anything else had ‘been there & done that’. I don’t think it hurts that in a lot of ways I am ‘he’ and ‘he’ was I.

It’s an odd feeling to constantly be reaching for the phone to get reassurance, to get feedback, to have a laugh only to remember there is no one on the other end. It’s as if any slight thing will yank me into this moment of ‘woulda, coulda, shoulda’. It’s like living in a bitter world of guilt and regret. There’s nothing that tastes good, there’s no sound that perks me up for to long, there’s really nothing that inspires me. I’m shuffling through the days. I’m drained. 2011 is draining me, slowly and surely. I’m so drained I can’t even find the effort to be mad, to lash out in anger, it’s just to exhausting. I find I don’t have the wherewithal to just shrug off some of the things I should. I feel like I don’t have the strength of character or conviction to re-assert myself. This year has been one defeat after another, I find myself staring at the wall wondering if it’s ever going to change.

Enough of that for today.

So Avengers, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes Season 1 (Infinite *’s out of 5) is over. I can’t believe just how amazing it was. There are a lot of things that I speak in hyperbole about on this blog, by and a large I’m an easy critic, however I just want to reassure everyone who even has a slight interest in this show BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I’ve said it time and time again this show makes me feel like I’m 12 years old going to get comics. The writers have taken the classic tales mixed them brilliantly with the best of the modern age and forged something glorious that has the sophistication of today while the wonder and glory of yesterday. The art takes the Timm & Dini mantra of less is more and uses it effectively; it’s not intrusive to the story. The redesigns of some of the characters, especially the villains, make sense and more than that they work. Best of all though is the show is not afraid to be just goofy fun, and on the same token it’s not afraid to have some gravitas. This is the best-animated work Marvel has done. It’s on par with Batman the Animated Series (Infinite *’s out of 5) and Justice League (Infinite *’s out of 5).

RANDOM CRAP!

- As much as you want it Joe, I need to touch the paper of the books I read. See I already gave that simple luxury up with comics and while I know it’s for the best I regret it. I can’t do that with books, I simply can’t.
- Tonight I should paint.
- For the Burger War I think I’m going to go with a Jambalaya Burger. The idea seems sound I just need to give it a delicious test run, maybe next weekend.
- The idea of snow tomorrow just blows my mind.
- I’ve found that I can’t use cubed beef in a four-bean chili. It just doesn’t work. I’m not sure if it’s a textural thing or what, but it just doesn’t fit well. So I guess it’s back to ground beef with the four-bean and I can be a bit more creative with the cubed beef.
- Hey would anyone be interested in getting together for the NFL Draft? I’m looking at you Draft Virgin Dark Dave…

Sometimes I wonder why I even blog and then I remember that it’s easier for me to type, to write these things than to say them. The words get lost somewhere between my brain and my mouth, whereas when my fingers tell the tale I’m never at a loss for words. Although I’m sure some of you wish I was.

“Didn't know what time it was, the lights were low
I leaned back on my radio
Some cat was layin' down some rock'n'roll lotta soul, he said
Then the loud sound did seem to fade
Came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase
That weren't no D.J. that was hazy cosmic jive

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

I had to phone someone so I picked on you
Hey, that's far out so you heard him too!
Switch on the TV we may pick him up on channel two
Look out your window I can see his light
If we can sparkle he may land tonight
Don't tell your poppa or he'll get us locked up in fright

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie”



* = It's true.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure about the draft, that's a little too manly for me.

    Pinch the nipples Ben...pinch the nipples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if you come watch the Draft I'll pinch your nipples.
    C'mon it's a rite of manly football passage. There will be snacks!

    ReplyDelete