Monday, May 23, 2011
The Grand Vs. Twister
* = Scary stuff...
Holy crap, what a crazy ass weekend, tornadoes, tornadoes, TORNADOES! Saturday night was La-La’s bachelorette party, Ant & I went out and gorged ourselves on Vietnamese food, and while the Rapture didn’t occur the heavens did open up and all hell broke loose. Now before anyone panics, let me state that ‘we’ are all right. The house is all right. We dodged ‘the bullet’. Sunday was filled with phone calls as most of my family was concerned, was dealing with severe weather of their own, or was searching for the family members we have in Joplin, MO. Sunday was like 5 stressful days in a 24-hour period. By the end of the night I was shaking, cold as hell, and a hurting unit. I think I have the flu, but I think a lot of it has to do with stress.
I do have to say that Que Viet (**** out of 5) had the best damn eggrolls I’ve ever eaten. They are as large as a baby arm and insanely good. The food overall was so fresh, light, and yet flavorful that it was a real joy to eat. Oh and watching the sky literally falling as we ate was surreal. Those eggrolls are amazing.
Sunday I did a lot of gluing. I had a bunch of Mantic skeletons and ghouls that I picked up insanely cheap last year that had just been sitting around.
The skeletons are pretty neat, but the ghouls are outstanding. The options, the poses, and the really expressive and creepy faces have made me very excited to get these primed so they can be painted.
I did very little of ‘real’ value over the weekend. I did bandy about an idea of a Planet Of The Apes-A-Thon
next weekend, watched some special features on some of my animated DC flicks, and re-watched season 1 of Eastbound & Down. So yeah, I didn’t contribute to society at all.
- Saturday we had to pail out 2 & ½ foot of water out of the egress window well in the front of the house. The damn thing just wouldn’t drain fast enough. The torrential rain was coming out of the downspout and going back to the house. We made a few jury rigged adjustments, but we have to get additional downspout length, we have to clean out that window well of leaves, put some sealer between the logs in the well to slow the water flow, & get some more mulch in that area to give a bit more space in the drainage. It was a monumental pain in the ass to work with.
- I’m hungry for chili again.
- I’m exhausted. I’m unsure if it’s a flu or what, but damn I’m worn down. I thought for a second that maybe it was the beer and drinks I had Saturday night, but the reality is I had like four beers & four drinks. That’s nothing. Then I thought maybe it was the not going to sleep until like 3am and getting up at 8am, but I took an incredible nap Sunday afternoon. I’m not sure what it was or is, but I’m going to be sluggish until I can find a way to get fully rested.
- Fuck Games Workshop. Seriously.
- In about a month I’m going to be making a LARGE board game purchase from Cool Stuff Inc. dot com. I’m picking up Conquest Of Nerath, the two Blood Angels expansions, the Chaos In The Old World expansion, and Cadwallon City Of Thieves. With Conquest Of Nerath I’m excited to see how this game shakes out, especially the idea of having heroes who can go on Dungeon Crawls while you’re at war. The Blood Angels expansions are hella-cheap. Chaos In The Old World is a fantastic game, and an expansion that allows for another player, as the Horned Rat, to get in on the world destroying is just to much to pass up. As for Cadwallon City Of Thieves, I’ve just read it’s a fun little game.
I love the setting; the minis look good, and it seems like another fun group game.
- The Sport’s Abyss is making me want to spend a lot of time in front of my PS2. If I have the time I might get back into my NCAA 2005 Football dynasty, since I have a bit of a hankering to play. Although with the death of Randy Savage I sort of want to play some Smackdown.
- If I paint this week I think I’m going to knock out some Orcs, possibly some Pirate Orcs.
I really want to go home and lay in bed.
“Cease to resist, giving my goodbye
drive my car into the ocean
you'll think I’m dead, but i sail away
on a wave of mutilation
I’ve kissed mermaids, rode the el nino
walked the sand with the crustaceans
could find my way to Mariana
on a wave of mutilation,
wave of mutilation
wave of mutilation
wave of mutilation
* = Creeping Doom was always my favorite spell.