Friday, May 20, 2011
One Of The Boys Vs. One Crazy Summer
* = Friday is for WINNERS!
Another week, more crap for you to Learn…
So the other day I was reading the vast amount of ‘Old School’ blogs I subscribe to and I think I just hit my mental fill of bitching. Listen Grognards, I know you feel your game has changed into something YOU don’t like. I get it. However what I don’t understand is your perseveration with it. Let it go. The ‘Old School’ community is vibrant, thriving, and full of real innovation, why they waste their considerable time rehashing the why’s and wherefore’s of their hate for WotC is beyond me. Do you long for that bastion of business acumen that was TSR? Is it because there isn’t a THACO anymore? Or is it just because to YOU the game has been changed any “dumbed down” in a way that for some bizarre reason personally offends you? The nerd on nerd Internet hate is just sad more than anything else. I thought OUR hobby was one of inclusion not exclusion, but I guess I’ve been mistaken. I’m not saying end your fruitless crusade, because you won’t, but realize that those of us that run, play, and even GASP enjoy 4E aren’t going to go away or quit. I read your blogs because they are great resources. I learn more about being a better player, a better DM, and about the minutia of the game I don’t know. The endless ranting and raving doesn’t help your cause, it hurts it. By the by, I just want to point out that why there are a LOT of Edition Warriors out there, there is also a large contingency of guy’s whose blogs I read who are simply ambassadors to the game. They are the example ALL of us should emulate. SO in summation, keep playing what your playing, and keep formulating new settings, ideas, adventures, etc., but leave the whining out. Thanks.
ARMY PAINTER ‘DIP’ METHOD!
While this isn’t one of my minis, it IS a perfect example of just how KICK ASS the DIP is. I finished 62 minis last night. FINISHED! And with the DIP on them they look fantastic. What I’ve come to realize though is the Game Workshops models really are much better with the DIP as opposed to the more ‘flat’ Wargames Factory minis. Not to say those don’t look good too, but damn do minis with a lot of nooks and crannies come out looking absolutely amazing. I’m torn between the ‘Dark’ & the ‘Strong’ shade. The ‘Strong’ works really well for humans, normal dudes, but when I want BIG, dramatic results the ‘Dark’ is where it’s at. I have the ‘Light’ tone as well, but really I’m not sure what to use it on yet. Seeing how well these turned out makes me want to get off my ass, make a ‘Light Box’, and take some better pictures of all my hard work. Oh and I want to get the pictures we’ve already taken posted we just haven’t had time.
My Brohiem-In-Law’s birthday is Sunday. Saturday we are both going to be hanging out at my home, in the basement, while above us our sister-in-law’s bachelorette party rages. We have plans though, plans that don’t involve penis cakes, sex toys, alcohol, or chick flicks. WE have plans that involve gorging ourselves on some series food. Serious Asian food. I’m not sure thus far where we are going, how we’re getting there, or where ‘there’ is even. Frankly I don’t care. I’m comforted by the thought of eating like our lives depend on it. Oh and Ant, I have no idea what to ‘give’ you for your B-day so think about things you want that I can afford and I will MAKE THIS HAPPEN! Otherwise stretch that stomach out like a professional eater, because Saturday WE DINE IN HELL!
I’d love to think that I have a bunch more to talk about, but I don’t.
ADDENDUM - 5/20/11 12:30pm
TOM HARDY AS BANE!
Holy crap this looks AWE-some! If this doesn't get you stoked for the next Batman flick then nothing will.
R.I.P. 'MACHO MAN' RANDY SAVAGE!
My childhood weeps for you. Some of my favorite wrestling moments involved the Macho Man. He was always the 'evil' Hulk Hogan to me. His battles with Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat were EPIC, he had Miss Elizabeth by his side, and who didn't love to watch him fly across the ring with that elbow! Oh and he taught the world to love the Slim Jim & he was Bonesaw McGraw in the first Spider-Man flick. So in the immortal words of the Randy Savage;DIG IT!
- Just looking at that Thai food makes my mouth water.
- Last night we got some serious business accomplished; weed ate, mowed, grilled, did some minor house cleaning, and DIPed minis while watching a bunch of stuff on the DVR! It was a full evening and at the end of the night I slept like the dead. I hope to do the same tonight.
- I don’t know about you, but yesterday’s blog was fun for me.
- David I’m sorry you’re having a crap week. Is there anything I can do to cheer you up? Anything besides The Gay Sex?
- While explaining to my family that the Basement would not be completed prior to their impromptu arrival in July I was informed of a few interesting tidbits;
o My sister has a live-in boyfriend right now. Oh and they are addicted to FX’s Justified.
o We are not going to the MN Zoo.
o I might get some Ghost Chilies.
o My nephew is obsessed with seeing an Octopus.
o While mom may be affectionately called “Dream Crusher”, she can’t crush ALL dreams.
Anywho, I think that about settles accounts for the week…
“There's no stoppin' the cretins from hoppin'
You gotta keep it beatin'
For all the hoppin' cretins
I'm gonna go for a whirl with my cretin girl
My feet won't stop
Doin' the Cretin Hop
Cretins wanna hop some more
All good cretins go to heaven”
* = I dig this picture. It makes me think about bringing some minor skirmishs of the 'dead' Blood War into my campaign at higher levels. The idea of the Northern Kingdom being controlled by Devil Worshippers, Tiefling Consortiums, and other forces of 'Order' was already the general direction I was going. That being said tying it to Torog, the Drow & their worship of Lloth Demon Queen Of Spiders, the 'Maw' where Yeenoghu manifested in the last campaign, and the Masks Of Minos Turgon could really be a fertile ground for MASSIVE conflict. And I mean c'mon who doesn't like a war between Devils & Demons? WHO! Something to ponder further.