* = And BOOM goes the dynamite...
I had been on a real role blogging wise, but then a strange thing happened lately. I've grown slightly disinterested, I've found my attention drawn elsewhere, and the change in format here on the ole blogger has pissed me off to no end. I'm going to try and get back in the saddle after a few 'sick' days at home trying to get my head back on straight. So I'm sure the 3 of you that read this, and that I don't talk to on a daily basis, are wondering what the hell I've been up to. Let me give you the rundown.
Last week we recieved another Paizo/Wizkids Rise Of The Runelords preview!
While Young Justice has continued to chug along with excellent episodes I have to admit that I was really looking forward to last Sunday and the return of Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes as well as to the premier of Ultimate Spider-Man. My excitement for Avengers was only heightened by the release of the next two images on the World Wide Web.
I'd be remiss if I didn't talk a bit about Ultimate Spider-Man. It's not to bad. It's bit comedic, but I sort of dig that, it's choice of villains in the first two episodes, The Frightful Four, was inspired I thought. They've set up the Peter, Harry Obsorne, & Norman Osborne perfectly. We recieved some great foreshadowing of Doc Ock and Curt Conners. The part I wanted to desperately like was the addition of Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger, & Nova, and unfortunately this is the aspect I found myself not caring that much for. First off I HATE the laid back surfer voice they gave Iron Fist. I'm not overly familiar with the White Tiger, but I have to say she's grating at best thus far on the cartoon. Power Man is tolerable, which leads me to my main point of frustration, Nova. Why the hell didn't we just get Richard Rider? Instead we get a mouthy, short, cocky kid. If there was ONE character that I thought went through a significant 'Hero's Journey' in the Marvel Universe since his first appearence, it's been Nova. So it confuses me why Marvel seems so determined to eliminate him. Who knows, maybe this guy will grow on me, hell maybe this show will as well, but currently it leaves a lot to be desired from me outside the lunchroom fight. I had such high hopes, I still do, but it's going to have to significantly improve for me not get bored with it fast. Let me finish by talking about the second image. It's the Guardians Of The Galaxy who will ALSO be making an appearence on Avengers this season! I'm really excited and hoping that we get a full blown modern Kree/Skrull War. I love where this show is going, what they are trying to get done, and I'm intrigued by the speculation that this show will be changing once it's first 52 Episodes, this means last season and this season, end. Perhaps they are setting us up for a Marvel Universe toon, similar to Justic League Unlimited, where we are able to see teams put together of characters that normally wouldn't get much run, like maybe Maddrox, Werewolf By Night, and the Silver Surfer! With Marvel putting a block of shows together on Disney XD to attempt to match up with Cartoon Network's DC Nation it truly is a GREAT time to be a fan of comic cartoons.
FAKE SPORTS NEWS! I have rediscovered my love of RAW Vs Smackdown 2008. As I've taken a break from NCAA Football for some reason, and my schedule has screwed up our rat killing on Baldur's Gate, I've turned to my primary video game love, 'Rasslin! Luckily I had already made a CAW, Create-A-Wrestler for those that don't know, of myself so I was ready to jump right in and play. It took me a bit to refamilarize myself with the controls of the game, and to get the fatigue system down. I jumped into a 'season' pretty quickly taking an offer from GM Teddy Long to join the Smackdown roster, remember this is from 2008. There I fueded with immediately for the number 1 contendership with a myriad of guys; Matt Hardy, M.V.P., Shane Helms, Mr. Anderson, Mark Henry, & Booker T.
D&D took place last Saturday. I have very mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I thought that I did a really good job making it a 'Run & Gun' style adventure since PC's took the stance of being brutal rather than sneaky. I also felt like I was able to 'railroad' them into the Kenku 'Nest' without actually 'railroading' them. The tension was ratched it up quiet high by the last encounter as the PC' hadn't really rested, were low on resources, hit points, and powers. As for what I did poorly, there was WAY to much off-topic stuff at the beginning causing the Role Playing portion to lag. I didn't think it was that bad, but a few of my players pointed out that they hated it. As a DM I want to 'stretch' my players a bit, I have one particular PC who hates that, so there is a bit of a constant tug of war there where I try to get him to do a bit more and he tries to push the issue to combat.
Monday night I did the 'Fairly Secret Interview' with The Fairly Secret Army, Dave & Greg.
How about we wrap this up with some...
- We are knee deep into the second season of Tosh.0! I don't know how I missed out on this show. It's thoroughly enjoyable to watch him destroy dumb people on the internet(s).
- It sounds as if Tuesday nights might become Board Gaming Night again.
- Oh Kentucky. I'd love to congratulate you on your National title, but you and I both know that in three to five years it won't matter. The fact that Calipari's prediliction for cheating and ruining programs was only touched upon in a humorous manner by ESPN & CBS doesn't surprise me, but it does just finalize my opinion of the people they employee. They don't care about the integrity of the game, so when they go on those rants about it, I'm looking at you Digger 'Pompous Windbag' Phelps, they are lies. Just like this title Kentucky.
- Sunday I'm painting.
- Brock Lesnar went back to WWE. I guess he got tired of getting punched in the face for real. Actually, I'm not upset with the guy at all. He wanted to prove a point when he went to the UFC and he did. He proved that he was a legit fighter. Now I think he recognizes that there a LOT of young, big, strong guys in that division who can hang with him, so it's a good time to get out. Not to mention he had to see just how much cash a guy like The Rock gets when he periodicly comes back into Vince's fold. He's going to get him some of that cash and not get killed in the process. For about two months the WWE had me back when C.M. Punk gave his rant. They quickly killed that, as they usually do. However when I look at their roster I can't help but be intrigued, especially since they have another 'King Of The Indies' in Bryan Danielson, whom they call Daniel Bryan, on their roster. I'm not sure if I'm prepared to give them another shot, but I'm sort of interested again.
- We are three weeks away from the NFL Draft. I'm trying to find a way to get Dave to watch it with me.
- No one wants to play the D&D Adventure System Games with me. This isn't a whining complaint, it's just become a fact. I finished my latest three decks, but I'm having problems becoming motivated to make more. I need a solid cohort in this. Perhaps someone to help me design 'modules'. Maybe it's just that the season has changed and therefor my interests have as well. I'm not sure.
- It's almost time to mow again.
- If you haven't heard the Greg Williams 'Bounty Gate' recording from the pre-game 49er's playoff game then it just solidifies his guilt. It also serves to remind us that he's a pretty shady guy. I don't get how Saints fans can be defending him and this team. If this had happened and affected them they'd be pissed right now. I hope the Commissioner looks at these phony appeals and doesn't even waste a day on contemplating that his original punishment fits the crime.
- We're off to 'The Cloud' this weekend.
- I just want to point out that according to the Supreme Court, by a 5 to 4 vote, it is lawful for the Police to strip search you NO MATTER your crime. Jaywalking, strip search. Run a stop sign, strip search. Protest, strip search. This is the same 5 to 4 Conservative group that thinks that the Health Care Mandate violates our rights. So if I understand this correctly these non-elected officials think that a strip search and cavity search don't violate me, BUT the government wanting me to have affordable health care does? It is blatantly obvious that these folks want me to only have things, like rights, health care, freedom of speech (see Arizona's "stellar" new law), safety from being shot, religion, etc. IF and only IF it is on their terms, and IF and only IF it is their way. That's not choice. If it wasn't so idiotic, disingenious, and dangerous it would be sad.
- I think I have the HTML issue sorted out on this F'Ning thing.
- Hey by the by if you don't think this looks cool;
Well I think I'm out of things to blather on and on about...
"Like Marlon Brando, but bigger.
You'll find that creature
At the bottom of the deep down
This one I had stood right on up to me,
Tore out his hook and declared himself a prodigy.
This one I had it looked bright like a sun
Went around three times, and departed with the dove
But oh no, fishing ain't what it used to be.
I've seen some bad years, but this one is just killing me.
One little nibble in thirteen years,
I really pack 'em in.
This one I had, I seen it in dreams,
All shacked up with lightning and horizon beams.
Well I bring 'em on up, and then I pack 'em on in
In all the places I've been,
And I swear it's never been like this before,
Least not since 19 and 44.
But today, I made a sick discovery,
Lead box in sassafras cove.
Well I brought him on up and then I packed him on in, oh yes,
Now I'm really cashing in.
Wash of the Chesapeake and Appalachian blue range,
I have discovered the body of john Wilkes booth.
Yes, it's true, I have Mr. Booth.
Everybody got to make a living somehow.
Do I hear a million?
Well I bring 'em on up and then I pack 'em on in."
* = This is from one of the art guys on the Avengers, apparently it may or may not have anything to do with this season. I just think it looks awesome, especially that crazy version of the X-Men.