Friday, April 25, 2014

Bed Knobs & Broomsticks Vs. A Hard Days Night

4/25/14

3rd Group D&D met last night.  We had missed a few months of sessions, for various reasons, so it was interesting to try and pick up where we left off.  I felt like I had a decent 6 Encounters, at least, worth of adventure planned out.  With the Shards in play, the way I sort of let 4E be even more ‘overpowered’ than it already is, and the inventiveness of the folks who play in my games I endeavor to make the combat 
Encounters difficult to say the least.

Lately I’ve been making a concerted effort to try and plan ahead, to stay out in front with my prep, and to leave less vague areas in my game so I can keep a sense of continuity, avoid issues, and make the month long gaps between easier for myself and the players.  I finally got of my chubby Ginger kiester and knocked out a version of the Shard chart, the Renown chart, and the Infamy chart.  I’ve got most of my next few months for each group planned out in fact, which is a huge deal for me.  So I have sort of hit a creative stride of late.

Proactive work like that are what make some of the things that unfortunately go on sometimes extremely disheartening as a DM.  D&D never trumps real life.  Ever.  People have their actual lives and they aren’t always easy, they aren’t always fun, and if someone plays at a table where I am behind the screen then I want that to be a good time.  It should be an escape.  I spend a LOT of time working on the sessions we play, a lot more than I probably should.  Be it painting miniatures, spending cash on things we use, writing unbelievable large amounts of information, or spending time creating new variations on monsters to challenge the players.  That is all time and effort that I exert to not only stretch that creative muscle that makes up such a large part of who I am, but also to hopefully bring some joy, some fun, and an escape to the people who sit that table with me.  It is my creative outlet, the only thing I can point to and say “I made THIS”, and truly it is my escape.

When folks, myself included, have a rough go of it and let their mood, attitude, frustrations, or whatever it may be suck the fun out of the room it bothers me.  It bothers me when I do it, so you can imagine it bothers me when others do it.  We had a bit of that last night.  Things will not always go the way we want it to.  The beauty and the floating turd of a social game like D&D is that sometimes the other people will do things you DO NOT want them to.  As a DM I just expect that, it is inevitable.  I expect the players to try and put me in a box built by the rules of the game while at the same time they are trying to push that box to the point of rupture with their cool and interesting ideas.  And they ALWAYS want to get away with it, and they SHOULD!  Hell, it’s what I would do, and if you ask Zack it IS what I do.   

The thing is we can’t anticipate what the group will do as individuals.  Last night’s session felt like there was a lack of communication by the party on how they wanted to attack a nasty little hindrance and that seemed to really frustrate some people.  Out of that real or perceived frustration a vibe seemed to manifest that left me just wanting the session to end.  I wasn’t sure how I could have redirected or refocused things to alleviate that.  I felt like I was trying, and failing in epic fashion.  In fact I can’t even go back and objectively judge how I did as a DM, because I can’t seem to wrap my head around how I put the group in that position which caused such a palpable frustration, which in turn has left me a scratching my head in frustration.

Let’s be honest, I personalize things.  One of the only things I create and share with the world are the imaginary worlds that float through the ether that is my imagination and congeal into reality around a table of people I call Friends where we tell stories and roll oddly shaped dice.  Running games means a lot to me, and no game I run will ever be as good, as smooth, or as fun as it should have been in my mind.  Giving that to people is giving of myself to the people around my gaming table.  So, when there is that sort of vibe that sort of ‘failure’ on my part to somehow facilitate fun bothers me.  It eats at me.  The worst part is I can’t figure out how I could have done anything differently in order to have avoided that negative reaction.  And that reaction, that hurts me.

Believe it or not I am a sensitive guy and not just to the sun.  When I pour myself into something and it obviously doesn’t go well it sticks to my craw.  I let it eat at me, I wish I didn’t.  I spent last night when I should have been sleeping trying to wrap my head around it all, and I’m at a loss.  In writing this today I’m trying to process and hopefully let it go.  In the end, all I can do is hope that I do not have the same issues this Sunday for 2nd Group.  Hope springs eternal, I suppose.     

GAH!  I hate feeling that way.  H-A-T-E it!  There is no point in dwelling on it.  I just need to find a way to make the next game better, and the one after that even better and the one after that better than the one previous, and so on.  Today, today I just have to let this go.  I suppose I’ve blabbered on and on about it how about we knock out some…

RANDOM CRAP!
-         
Still no news on the New Job front.  *sigh*  I have an odd feeling I’m going to hear something today.  I also think I’m going to get offered something, perhaps not what I wanted, but something.  It was nice last night to hear again how they really liked me and were impressed, but it only serves to make me even more flustered over not hearing anything in a week plus.  Silence stinks, like stale fart.
-          
Beer Cheese Soup, or a Gluten Free alternative is desired before it gets to warm.
-         
Movie-A-Thon TONIGHT!  The only thing I KNOW we are watching is Cassandra’s demand of the Rifftrax of Cyborg Cop 2.  Sorry Elyssa.  Otherwise, I think we’ll be making our other two film choices out of the 100 Sci-Fi movies box set that gave us the beauty and the wonder that was Future Hunters at a previous Movie-A-Thon.  Either way, just hanging out with our Friends, having some snacks and beverages while ‘enjoying’ some fantastic cinema is always wondrous.
-         
Kenny Powers is a gawd damn ‘Merican Hero!
-         
For all my issues with last night’s 3rd Group D&D session I was really blown away by some of the game play.  Magic Mike’s absolute devastation of the Cadaver Collector with some great use of Slowed and specific damage effects, THE Karl’s really inventive and sneaky as hell us of a power to get a free teleport off was genius, and Cassandra’s pushing the boundaries of using a jump to avoid a terrain effect was some great out of the box thinking.  Add in how Elyssa became Bird Queen of ALL Snipers (KAW!) with some really just smart tactics, Peter’s wonderful use of his Warlord abilities to buff allies, Spence’s talent for stringing together Powers in nasty combos, and the walking, sparkling, teleporting death machine that is Kedrin’s PC and they have become a REALLY difficult group to build challenges for, and that, THAT is fun for me.  Hopefully next session I can give them even more of a fun and entertaining challenge.
-         
Chocolate covered coffee beans should be illegal.
-         
I finally got around to watching the Total Riff Off National Geographic (**** out of 5) stuff that the Rifftrax guys put together.  It was good, but not great with the exception of the Demon Bat stuff.  The Rifftrax trio NEVER ceases to entertain and to get a laugh out of me no matter what they are riffing on.  On a side note of interest, I read a blurb somewhere that Joel Hodgeson wants to get MST3k up and running again.  All I can say in response to this is…YESPLEASENOWCANWEGETTHISNOWPLEASENOW!  As you might be able tell this news has my attention.
-         
Napping is so wonderful.
-         
Unfortunately, I only finished two miniatures this week, and one still needs a tiny touch up.  Now I started a few others, and granted this week was massively insane scheduling wise, but I didn’t make my goal.  I’m thinking next Tuesday night I’ll sit down in the basement and get back after it.  Hopefully, Cassandra will find the time and the inclination to knock out some eyes so I can start DIPping the ton of minis that I finished this last winter.
-         
I really want to have another Fire Pit this weekend.
-         
-  I’ve realized that dickish Heel Brian Danielson/Daniel Bryan from Ring Of Honor is truly amazing.  “I have until FIVE Referee!”  Watching these matches on a series of great compilations that James and his SUPER Sweet Beard loaned me has brought me nothing but joy.  Thank you, The Beard for sharing those.
-         
Maybe it’s just the stomach flu/stress pooping I had all week, but I lost more weight this week!
-         
Magic Mike has been giving me some really amazing ideas regarding running the ’99 Rooms Of the Blind Pharaoh’s Palace Tomb’ mega dungeon that I’ve almost completed constructing.  I think I am going to go with building the PC’s myself, then finding some way to have the PC’s ‘bid’ or play some type of mini-game before the session to get their characters.  I also thoroughly loved the idea of giving the PC’s some specific ‘tasks’ that may or may not coincide while being in said mega dungeon.  That will build in the Role Playing that marching through such an exploration/hack n’ slash mini-series would lack.  Good stuff.
-         
I think I could listen to Electric Six’s ‘After Hours’ song every day all day for a month or so and never get sick of it.  No song gets me more jacked up to get through a work day.


You know I think that is all I got…

No comments:

Post a Comment