Monday, May 17, 2010
Piranha Vs. A River Runs Through It
So I was not overly worried about sharks in Minnesota rivers and lakes, & then this morning on The Powertrip Morning show they were talking about Bull Sharks and other assorted shark teeth being found in Minnesota lakes & rivers. HOLY CRAP! The SHARKAGGEDON is upon us! FLEE! I’m seriously NEVER getting into any water again that isn’t loaded with chlorine and that I can’t see the bottom of. Thanks nature, thanks for reminding me just where my chubby behind is on the food chain.
Ronnie James Dio died, now I’ve been known to poke fun at Dio, and yet to simultaneously love up songs like Rainbow In The Dark & Holy Diver. Let me just say Dio got a raw deal. The guy will most likely not be remembered as a ‘top tier’ metal vocalist, and that’s a damn shame. I think it hurts him that Rainbow was “Richy Blackmore’s Band”, he followed Ozzy in Sabbath, and that his band just never hit the sort of heights it could have in the mainstream consciousness. All that being said, just listen to dude wail on just those two tracks, it’s spine tingling. Oh, and he was the guy who gave us the Metal Sign! The friggin’ METAL SIGN! Not to mention the guy always came off as just classy and cool. In the documentary Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey he is frequently interviewed and is by far the most interesting and funny of the artist interviewed. He was poked fun at by Tenacious D, and not only did he take it in stride, he languished in it. He was a true ambassador for his music and smart and entertaining guy. Much like Frank Frazetta, Dio you will be missed.
People in my Covenant of Cool need to stop dying, it’s depressing.
Over the course of the last seven days Cassandra and I were able to devour the first season of True Blood (**** out of 5). Not to shabby, not to shabby INDEED! I had very low expectations and really wasn’t sure what to expect, besides Anna Pacquin’s boobs, and I was NOT disappointed in any way shape or form. The over reaching arc of the “big bad” a concept perfected in Joss Whedon’s Buffy The Vampire Slayer (**** out of 5) series, is somewhat perfected here along with a truly infuriating, in a fun way, series of cliffhanger endings that make, NAY DEMAND, you watch the next episode. There is a quirky, “Twin Peaks”-esque thing going on in this series that makes all the characters simultaneously likable, yet so flawed you can actively dislike them, just like real people. I have to say this show has captivated my attention thus far, and I’m very intrigued and interested on where season two is going to take us.
I also was able to finally finish Ed Greenwood’s Eliminster In Hell (** ½ out of 5) novel. What to say? Well it wasn’t as laughably bad as I’d be led to believe, but it was not a great novel, & yet I felt physically compelled to finish it. I think it hurts this book that I just finished a run of Robert E. Howard books and I’m in the middle of some Clark Ashton Smith that just makes the book pale in comparison while residing in a similar genre. It was sort of like having a plain hot dog, and a $0.79 Fun Dog at that, after eating Filet Mignon. It’s not that the hot dog is bad; it’s just NOWHERE near as tasty as the pricey cut.
I don’t know about you, but without Dio here to save me from Sharks in our lakes and rivers I need(s) me some
- You know it’s just a matter of time until some politician utters, “…and if elected I WILL get these Sharks out of OUR Lakes & Rivers…” I’m sure if the Sharks were in Arizona there would already be an open campaign against them.
- Seriously, go listen to Holy Diver and even though neither you NOR I have any earthly idea just what the hell the man is singing about BUT you canNOT deny how M-E-T-A-L it is.
- Cassandra & I are two Doctor Who episodes behind now. This must be rectified.
- By the by for those that even peripherally follow the ongoing D&D saga I’m working on a page dedicated to it;
- This weekend I broke out some left over pork that had been grilled to perfection and turned it into a chili and it was AWESOME, just thought you should know what you missed.
- I was unable to get ANY painting done this weekend and Cassandra didn’t get anything done on Cave Works. Saturday was insanely productive for house and yard work, but when it comes to my ‘vanity’ projects we struck out.
- At this moment right now I want to go home, OH and I want to win the lottery so I never have to leave my home. AND I can then prevent myself from being eaten by sharks in our lakes and rivers.
SHEESH, one-track mind today, Sharks Vs. Dio. That doesn’t say a whole lot about me does it?
“Dio has rocked for a long, long time,
Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
He has songs of wildebeests and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.
It's time to pass the torch,
You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.
We're takin' you to a home,
But we will sing a song about you.
And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.
You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Raow!
Your sauce will mix with ours,
And we'll make a good goulash baby.
Dio, time to go!
You must give your cape and scepter to me.
And a smaller one for KG.
Go! Go! Dio! Dio!”