Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tideland Vs. Time Bandits


* If that was following me I'd be crapping myself..













** This show just continues to look better and better, I have high hopes AMC, don't pull a "The Prisoner" remake on me now...

Time makes fools of us all. It certainly has me. It never ceases to amaze and disgust me that it took me SO long in life to understand that the lessons my father was trying to impart to me were imperative to me being what I have/had the potential to be. It’s also infuriating that the same man who hands out wisdom unparalleled follows very little of his own lessons.

Yes, ladies and germs, the “fasher” is visiting, & yes it is simultaneously joyous and heart breaking. I won’t go into details, but let’s just say that illness and time have robbed the man of a lot of who he was, or at least whom I choose to remember. It’s hard watching something, an ideal, or someone, your father, slowly disintegrate. I’m determined to have the trip be good for him, for it to be a “point of light” in the world he currently lives in. It’s difficult, it’s exhausting mentally and emotionally, but I think I’m up to the challenge. At least I hope so.

Enough talking about something that hurts my very soul.

I have gotten away from working on the D&D ‘Light’ game, and today I’m making a concerted effort to get back to it. I really was awaiting some feedback from the peeps, but it’s been slow to not coming at all. I value so much the opinion of others, but at this rate I just want something done that is play test worthy. I think I have something on the verge of that. Some slight adjustments, finishing of the adventure I’m working on for our play test, and we should be ready to rock and roll. Oh not to mention I desperately want to play, because I have an idea percolating about a Ronin from the Jade Lands who wanders West into the “Barbarous Lands”. I’d build as a Fighter OR maybe a Two Weapon Ranger build, and a bow as a range weapon, maybe making him just human OR maybe Dhamphyr. Just building him into a front line threat, a wandering warrior looking to establish his own ‘Kingdom Among The Pale’. I just need a sweet name; it’s down to;
- Watanabe Masahiro; which is supposed to a translation of my actual name.
- Kawazoe Musashi; it’s my homage to my favorite samurai, Miyamoto Musashi
- Nakajima Soujiro; it’s my dad’s name, and I totally dig it.
What thinks you the masses? My other idea would be a lost wanderer from across the ‘Great Sea’, sort of in the mold of an American Indian, using my Indian name; Kwan Ja Me. I’d go with a Human Seeker I think, OR maybe a Human Barbarian, I can’t decide which build I like better at this point. SO MANY OPTIONS! I have a miniature picked out for either. Mainly I want a “stranger in a strange land” character that comes to the Known World in search of ‘HIGH ADVENTURE’.

How about I give you some

RANDOM CRAP!

- I need a haircut.
- Last night I actually burned the bottom of my homemade marinara sauce for the meatballs & spaghetti. It was incredibly frustrating. The fact is I have not mastered the kitchen stove’s heat. I often have trouble recognizing just how hot it gets even on the lower settings, and last night it caught up to me. The reality is though the sauce, meatballs, bread, & even the noodles were spectacular.
- More Walking Dead zombie goodness in the pics above has my spirits soaring when it comes to anticipation for this show! It’s almost scary to think that they might get it right.
- Last night my dad played a Pink Floyd DVD entitled “Shine On(**** ½ out of 5) for me. I was blown away at how much they improvised in this particular performance. Usually this is a band that is known for their technical expertise and precise playing, but when they play Money during this performance it’s roughly 10 minutes long of improvisation that ranges from a Caribbean sound to out and out Jazz. Oh and One Of These Days IS Pink Floyd basically playing their version of the Doctor Who theme, it is bloody BRILLIANT!
- A trip to Al Baker’s to gorge my Dad on wings is on the books for Saturday, I have my fingers crossed that he’ll be as pumped about it as I am.
- Apparently you can get an Xbox 360 from Wal-Mart right now for like $150 worth of greenbacks & you get a $50.00 gift card. I’m intrigued by this, actually quiet intrigued. If it’s not a ‘Red Ring Of Death’ model of the console I’d actually pick one up, as there are games I’d love to play on that system. I know that Anthony “LIKE A BOSS” J. got one for Father’s Day, and he’s stoked. Maybe if I knock up Cassandra I’ll get some sweet ass swag. I kid, I kid…although for a PS3 I’d impregnate just about anyone or anything…
- Wouldn’t it be nice to have wealth beyond avarice? I know if I did the laziness quotient would go up exponentially.
- It’s beautiful to see that Nebraska & Colorado are getting their just deserts by deserting the formerly Big 12. Kudos to Texas for staying, and a big F’ YOU to Texas for causing this whole thing. Seriously, how much money do you need? This conference realignment was all about greed. It had nothing to do with Football, Basketball, students, tradition, or academics as the ‘talking heads’ of those that cut and ran would have you believe. When did college athletics become sleazier than Prize Fighting? I’m actually tempted to boycott the College Football season this year, but then I remember I’m a football addict and to do so would cause me to go into withdrawals, and who knows where that would lead, I might start watching * GASP * soccer…
- We’re going to grill the HELL out of some food on Sunday!
- I think I might be losing weight again people keep pointing it out. All I’ve done is slowed my roll eating, and I’m still full when I finish. It would do wonders for me if I could get slimmer. Not like Chris Hawkey slim though. It was HI-larious how he went on Channel 4 last night, check out the PowerTrip page on KFAN.com to watch it, and embarrassed himself with his comments about the frequency of sex with his wife. This morning on the PowerTrip Morning Show they were KILLIN’ him with it, and it was even funnier when his wife called into the show, and they played it for her. THIS, ladies and gentlemen is why I’m not an Attention Whore.
- Last evening’s cloud cover & the color of the sky as it remained in constant flux were magnificent.
- Take heart Dave, as much as we both loathe the ignorant masses, at least we have each other. If you were here right now I’d give you a hug. A real hug, not just a ‘man hug’, and I might even linger…
- ‘Gabe’ from Penny Arcade, hilarious site by the by, has a page up on what he does in his home D&D games and it is spectacular. His idea on ‘sandbox’ gaming is really inspired, as well as his 3D “free falling” board he built out of cheap and simple items blows my tiny mind. I highly recommend not only checking out Penny Arcade’s spectacular nerd humor, especially the web strip, but also the articles they write on all things Nerdery.

In the immortal words of Doctor Doom; “BAH!”

“Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone

Hell opened up and put on sale
Gather 'round and haggle
For hard cash, we will lie and deceive
Even our masters don't know the web we weave

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world ... One world

Invisible transfers, long distance calls,
Hollow laughter in marble halls
Steps have been taken, a silent uproar
Has unleashed the dogs of war

You can't stop what has begun
Signed, sealed, they deliver oblivion
We all have a dark side, to say the least
And dealing in death is the nature of the beast

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world ... One world

The dogs of war don't negotiate
The dogs of war won't capitulate,
They will take and you will give,
And you must die so that they may live

You can knock at any door,
But wherever you go, you know they've been there before
Well winners can lose and things can get strained
But whatever you change, you know the dogs remain.

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world ... One world”

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. Looking forward to visiting on Sunday. Penny Arcade is awesome, and I haven't read it for like 4 years. I'm gonna have to do some catching up, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is superb!

    You'll have to fill me on this XBox 360 thingy.

    By the by I'll need your tech savy to put some stuff on DVD while your visiting for Fasher's Da!

    ReplyDelete