Thursday, October 14, 2010
Robin & Marien Vs. Outland
* = Grant Morrison invites you to touch Superman's Crotch...
If I have to hear or see one more negative political add, especially those by Michelle Bachman, I’m going to burn this F’N state to the ground. I can’t wait for this to be over. With very few exceptions I hear no one giving ideas, no one telling me their qualifications, instead I get to hear about how bad the other person is. I’m beginning to think that NO ONE is actually qualified, that NO ONE has any good ideas.
Oh and before someone tells me that this is the process or makes excuses based upon their political slant, just recognize one thing, one fact if you will. I DON’T CARE. I’m completely disenfranchised with politics in general that it makes me physically ill. To hear people so vehemently attack each other of falsities disgusts me. Politicians disgust me. The only problem is we have no other options; it’s become a racket. I mean who am I to turn to, the Tea Party folks? I don’t think so. Those individuals, while I do believe want to make some sort of change, have become pawns in this on-going game. Guys like Rand Paul frighten me for multiple reasons, not just the repealing of the Civil Rights Act, it’s the idea that they think they understand the system so much that they can change it from the inside. It’s a naïve point of view. Look at our former governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura. He tried to change the system from the inside, and contrary to what a lot of folks would have you believe, he did a decent job. BUT what “The Body” didn’t understand is the “Good Ole’ Boy” network, on both sides of the isle, is SO entrenched that they have no reason to want to change, and they especially don’t want to be challenged by a perceived outsider. See I’m not against a common man taking a shot at doing this job, what I’m against is someone who is not smart enough to do the job getting the opportunity. Sarah Palin is a great example of this. She’s a decent speaker, although the pseudo-hick crap is annoying, she obviously understands how to push her “brand”, and although I completely disagree on her rhetoric I can appreciate how she plays the game. That being said I wouldn’t let her take care of my dog, if I had one. When forced to think on her feet she doesn’t pass the smell test. That’s my problem with a lot of these Tea Party folks. They’ve been handed a script of talking points, whether directly from Republican or Conservative leadership, I’m looking at you Dick Army. Plus I just like to type Dick Army. They’ve been handed this manifesto to regurgitate. And those who haven’t been directly given their marching orders by these “Grass Roots” organizations, which are hardly small or underfunded groups, are getting those same talking points from Fox News. Fox News has become the pulpit for the Conservative movement, a movement that is going farther and farther to the Right. My question to them is why?
President Obama is a 1970’s Republican. See Conservatives have won to some degree. They’ve pushed the nation to a Center Right mind set. Even our Moderates or Centrists aren’t anywhere near as Liberal as they were in the 1960’s. The problem is there are folks out there where that is not enough, they want us on the Fringe Right, and these are your hardcore Christian Conservatives who believe in mixing of pseudo-religion morality with government. Listen we’ve gone round and round on religion and I don’t want to attack yours, so instead I’ll just repeat my mantra; Keep your religion out of my government. The country was founded on the tenants of Freedom Of Religion, not freedom of YOUR religion.
The hardcore Fiscal Conservative has also been a big winner. They’ve been calling the shots since the late 1970’s. Deregulation, the emergence of the Corporate State, the pandering to the richest of the rich are all the “gift” we’ve received from unscrupulous capitalism. When 1% of the population in our country control 99% of the wealth there is a problem. Now I’m not calling for the redistribution of wealth, but what I’m asking for is campaign contributions to be controlled, for everyone’s vote to count the same, and mainly for term limits on ALL politicians.
I’d like to see government be for the people by the people again. Because I’m sorry no matter what Christine O’Donnell, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, and their ilk tell you they are not “the people”, they are brands force fed to an angry mob who has lost it’s ability to distinguish pandering from reality. Racism, classism, religious martyrdom, etc. won’t solve our problems. Logic, reason, compromise, progressive thinking, and a commitment to each other as a nation is the only real way for ALL of us to live somewhere we can be proud of.
Wow, I just wrote something I’m somewhat proud of and I didn’t call someone a douche bag at any point! I think that calls for some
- Betrayal At House On The Hill 2nd Edition is what will be on the table as the Thursday Night Board Game Alliance again meets. We have the 1st Edition (**** out of 5), which thanks to Shinders getting shut down due to Meth issues we were able to snag for like $10. It’s a great game. I’m looking forward to seeing whether this is a direct translation or whether or not they’ve added all the FAQ information and made any additional adjustments.
- Speaking of Board Games that are kick ass, I’m intrigued by Fantasy Flight Games, Twin Cities REPRESENT, newest offering Mansions Of Madness. It looks like a mix of Betrayal At House On The Hill and their mega-hit dungeon crawler Descent. Oh and it’s ALL Lovecraft! The problem I think I’m having with this game is the price tag. It’s like $80! I know, I know that’s standard for FFG Big Box games, but man that’s a lot cheddar. It may be a purchase that waits till next year. What am I saying, it IS a purchase that’ll have to wait till next year, if ever.
- I feel awful. I think I’m getting ready to pass a kidney stone.
- TMC is showing Hammer Flicks every Friday Night all month! This Friday is all ‘bout The Mummy! On the 22nd it’s X The Unknown, which is a flick I’ve been dying to see, Five Million Miles To Earth (***** out of 5), which is an excellent Quartermass movie, These Are The Damned, which I’m unfamiliar with, & The Stranglers Of Bombay, which is another flick I’ve really wanted to see. Then on the 29th we get Frankenstein all night! So if you’re into sweet Hammer Flicks then check it out. On a side note after these on Friday night TMC has it’s cult movie double feature thing. It’s a bit hit and miss, but where else can you see stuff like Repo Man (*** out of 5) or Night Of The Lepus (A ridiculous ***** out of 5)!
- This is cool & creepy;
- I’m over halfway through the Blackhearts Omnibus, which is set in the Warhammer universe, & it’s pretty entertaining. It’s basically the Dirty Dozen (***** out of 5) in a fantasy setting. It’s less bleak than Vampire Wars, it still has a bit of “to cool for school” feel by the writer, especially in the first book, but it’s been intriguing even if I’m not as invested in the characters as I was in the main characters in Vampire Wars. All in all both of these have been nice primers before the main course; three omnibus of Felix & Gotrek!
- Crunch N’ Munch is the Sheezy!
- D&D players prepare for Gladiatorial Games & Political Intrigue Saturday Night!
And with that I’ve got things to do…
“Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand
Fools like me, who cross the sea
And come to foreign lands
Ask the sheep, for their beliefs
Do you kill on God's command?
A country that's divided
Surely will not stand
My past erased, no more disgrace
No foolish naive stand
The end is near, it's crystal clear
Part of the master plan
Don't look now to Israel
It might be in your homelands
Upon my podium, as the
Know it all scholar
Down in my seat of judgment
Gavel's bang, uphold the law
Up on my soapbox, a leader
Out to change the world
Down in my pulpit as the holier
Than-thou-could-be-messenger of God
Wage the war on organized crime
Sneak attacks, repel down the rocks
Behind the lines
Some people risk to employ me
Some people live to destroy me
Either way they die.
They killed my wife, and my baby
With hopes to enslave me
First mistake...last mistake!
Paid by the alliance, to slay all the giants
Next mistake...no more mistakes!
Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite
Because I don't say it,
don't mean I ain't thinking it
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away
I know what I said, now I must scream of the overdose
And the lack of mercy killings…”
* = Do you dare take the road?