Monday, November 1, 2010

Black Cat Vs. Cat People


* = Look it's Jared Allen after another Viking's loss!

Halloween came and went. It was a small party this year, but it was insanely fun. The costumes were fantastic with Dave taking first wearing his Marquis get-up

in an ode to highly underrated artist Guy Davis, while Christina took a contested second with the Rabbit from Alice In Wonderland. Cassandra rocked out the decorations and the food as per usual. I wasn’t as into it as I’ve been in the past, but the folks we had there really brought the fun.

Friday night Cassandra and I watched Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Infinite *’s out of 5)! I had eagerly waited to watch this since I’m a big fan of the comics. All I can say is I was not disappointed. The movie is a feast for the eyes, it’s funny, and it stay reasonably close to the original work. Chris Evans and Brandon Routhe steal their collective scenes though in what are two of the more memorable villains on screen since Eddie Chin! I know this movie didn’t do that well at the box office and I think that’s a shame, but I now understand why. People just didn’t get it. It’s not a dumb movie, it needs to be savored and tasted like a fine brandy. I plan on drinking it in at least three more times this month.

After that I exposed Cassandra to the first episode of The Walking Dead. I will refrain from giving it a rating till the 6-episode season is complete but let me just state now it’s FANTASTIC! The character beats are perfect as is the casting. The additions make sense and add to the overall tale, and they did NOT skimp on the gore. I think this has the potential to really show what a genre piece can do in greater contexts.

Saturday morning while I neglected doing anything of value I sat through the re-make of The Hills Have Eyes (*** out of 5). As far as re-makes go it’s very good. It’s got a ‘dusty’ feel that permeates it visually, the acting is solid, and it’s suitable gut wrenching in the moments where it mimics the original. The big thing is there is and was no reason to remake the original. It’s still an effective flick; this just sort of comes up short when compared to it. I think that’s my problem with all of these remakes, there isn’t a real call or reason to make them and that’s why I avoid them usually.

How about some

RANDOM CRAP!
- Even loving popcorn is wrong; I DON’T WANT TO BE RIGHT!- Mighty Mike and I are going to start a Sci-Fi skirmish campaign game with the No Limits rule set.
- I can’t wait for tomorrow to be over.
- Sorry to those that care about not “Learning” you all on Friday but I was at training.

You know that’s just about all I have to say about anything…

”Laboring in the liquid light of Leviathan
Specters swarm around the sunken cities of the Saurian’s
Rising from the void through the blackness of eternal night
Colossus of the deep comes crashing down with cosmic might

And none may see again the shimmering of Avalon
Or know the fates of all the races man has cursed
Long gone are the ages of the alchemists
Now there are none who know the secrets of the earth

Harken to the howl of the Huntsman's hounds
Or the clarion of kingdoms doomed and drowned

Lament for the passing of the Auroch
And the slaying of the ancient Wyrm
Would you dare to meet the gaze of the basilisk
Or face the flames as the phoenix burns?

And none may see again the shimmering of Avalon
Or know the fates of all the races man has cursed
Long gone are the ages of the alchemists
Blessed are those who keep the secrets of the earth
Lament the passing of the Auroch
and the slaying of the ancient Wyrm
Would you dare to meet the gaze of the basilisk
Or face the flames as the phoenix burns?”



* = If we did more of this in D&D would you like it more?

No comments:

Post a Comment