Monday, March 14, 2011

House Of The Dead Vs. Resident Evil


* = REJOICE!

I just want to point out that Alex Toth & Jack Kirby are friggin’ amazing. Jon and I watched the entire Thundarr The Barbarian (**** out of 5) cartoon series this weekend and it was everything I remembered it to be, a lot of things lose some of their luster through the prism of time, this did not. Sure the animation isn’t the best, and the stories & dialogue can sometimes be a bit clunky, BUT DAMN the sheer wildness is infectious. This is the blue print for any Gamma World game I will ever run.

Speaking of things that blew my friggin’ mind I sat down & spent some quality time with The Fairly Secret Army’s first album ‘Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe(***** out of 5). Dave & Greg out did themselves. Musically it hits a LOT of different vibes and genres, while the musicianship never wavers. Lyrically it’s by far the ‘happiest’ thing Dave has written, with really only two songs about failed relationships. It’s up beat, the songs are insanely catchy, and it’s full of WIN! So if you have a soul, then you should be contacting him for a copy and a T-Shirt. Join The Fairly Secret Army before it’s to late…

So Saturday we had our third Marvel SAGA game. I felt it went pretty well, and I drew the low card so I’ll be updating the game’s Obsidian Portal (our Wiki page) with the game notes. Everyone seemed like they had a good time, although I did get a tad of ‘meh’ feedback. That’s always sort of weird. I do an awful lot of reading on how to be a better Game Master/Dungeon Master. I’ve been trying a lot of different techniques and methods at improving my skills and providing the best gaming experience I can for those that play. Unfortunately I’m always looking for feedback, and when I get ‘meh’ feedback it makes me feel like Wiley Coyote going back to the ole’ drawing board. So I apparently have some (more) work to do.

Just admitting that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sunday Jon and I busted out Zombie Survival (**** ½ out of 5) that I’d picked up on the cheap recently. It’s a board game where the first half is the stock for the Zombie Apocalypse and the second half is all about survival and screwing your neighbors/opponents.

This is an odd little game. The first play through left us both sort of saying it’s an “o.k.” game. The second play left us saying, “huh, that’s pretty damn fun!” And after three plays and three hours we were left saying “that’s is a hell of a game, very intricate.” See the thing with this little diddy is there are NO bad options, just a limited amount of options. Those limited options make decision making very difficult. Once the second part of the game kicks into gear, the Zombie Apocalypse, there is a high feeling of tension as well as inevitable doom. If Last Night On Earth (Infinite *’s out of 5) is Night Of The Living Dead, & Zombie State (**** out of 5) is something akin to Doctor Strangelove (Infinite &’s out of 5) with Zombies then Zombie Survival is a beautiful Last Man On Earth (***** out of 5) analog. It’s a great little game; I can’t wait to play a 4-player game.

RANDOM CRAP!

- I didn’t get to grill yesterday, but I AM going to grill tonight.
- We were able to finish some miniatures on Saturday as well. I finally got to use the Army Painter DIP Method. I didn’t dip though I brushed the shade/sealer on. I have to say it worked fantastic on most of the minis but some of the Skeletons don’t really look that different. Overall though it worked out great. I already have the next minis to finish this week picked out. I have a bit of painting to do tonight or tomorrow, then Thursday I’ll knock out the bases, and Friday or Saturday morning I’ll seal them. I’m on a roll!
- Cassandra made brownies Sunday. They were fantastic.
- I want to have an opinion regarding the NFL Labor Dispute, but right now I’m to disgusted by the whole thing.
- Screw you Daylight Savings!
- I’m picking Kansas to win the National Championship Tourney starting Thursday. I know, big shock. The thing is Duke is shaky, Ohio State has looked VERY vulnerable the last month, and Pittsburg just got handled in the Big East tournament. On the other hand Kansas only lost 2 games all year; a home meltdown to Texas and on the road to a desperate Kansas State team. They revenged BOTH of those losses.
- Hall & Oates OWNS YOU!
Meh…

“Baby hair with a woman's eyes
I can feel you watching in the night
All alone with me and
we're waiting for the sunlight
When I feel cold you warm me
When I feel I can't go on
you come and hold me
It's you and me forever

Sara smile
Won't you smile a while for me, Sara

If you feel like leaving
you know you can go
But why don't you stay until tomorrow?
And if you want to be free
you know all you have to do is say so
When you feel cold I'll warm you
And when you feel you can't go on
I'll come and hold you
It's you and me forever

Sara smile
Won't you smile a while for me, Sara
Sara smile
Oh won't you smile a while, Sara

Smile
Oh won't you smile a while, Sara”



* = This is Kirby's original take on Thundarr!

No comments:

Post a Comment