Monday, July 25, 2011

Driven Vs. Fast & The Furious


* = I think this encompasses my feelings about Mondays.

Well that was a long weekend where it felt like it FLEW by. I know it’s only Monday, but I feel like I’m longing for a quiet weekend alone. Well, TO BAD! This week will be quick, busy, and it’s all speeding head long towards the 1st Annual Driveway Burger War!

I’ve run my mouth non-stop regarding my winning this battle of the burger, and the reality is I feel my entry will back up my claims. However I must also state that I am really excited just to sample the hard work of everyone else. I already know that my wife’s burger is fantastic, and while I feel I have it beat, it still is something I’m looking forward to eating again. So we’re on the clock this week, just like the NFL & the Federal Government, but I’ll save that round of bitching till further down the page.

I did manage to squeeze in some reading & viewing this weekend, here’s what I got through so you don’t have to;

- Trinidad (**** out of 5)

I had this documentary on my DVR for some time, and Saturday night we sat down and viewed it. The film is about Trinidad, CO, which is the Transgender ‘Mecca’ of the world. More people go here for gender re-assignment surgery than anyone else, and a many of them stay in the community post surgery. It really is a fantastic film examining the difficulties these individuals live with, how the community has handled the change in it’s dynamic, and the struggles that a person who doesn’t feel ‘right’ in their own skin goes through.

- Bigger, Stronger, Faster (Infinites *’s out of 5)

This documentary had also been waiting for us on the DVR for a while now. I have to say I had sort of low expectations for this documentary. I was very wrong. In fact I was blown away. First off this film isn’t just about steroids, sports, or ‘cheating’ it is actually about America, and our predilection towards a ‘Win at ALL costs’ mentality. That is underscored by the personal nature of the film. The documentarian is not only dealing with his feelings of inadequacy, with his moral quandary of steroid use, and with the fact that both his brothers are users. The film attacks the steroid, and drug use in general, issue from both the side of the user/abuser and those folks who would see substances controlled or banned completely. There were so many interesting asides in this film that could have been documentaries unto themselves. It was captivating, thought provoking, sad, funny, and more than anything educational. This is one of those documentaries that everyone should see, because once you do you’ll have a much better understanding of why ‘Merica is as messed up as it is.

- Rifftrax: The Crater Lake Monster (***** out of 5)

THIS was old school MST3KRiffing’ at its highest art form. Sometimes the Rifftrax crew can be a bit hit and miss with some of the newer flicks that they tear apart for my amusement. In fact I would say that the Cinematic Titanic group has a much higher success rate in ‘the funny’. I really feel it’s more due to the ‘quality’ of bad movie they riff on. When Mike, Bill, & Kevin take on an older flick it really just clicks. This is just fantastic. In fact it’s so good that I’ll be going back and watching it again maybe as soon as tonight, just a hilarious ‘episode’.

- Vornheim: The Complete City Kit (Infinites *’s out of 5)

I have finally finished Zak Sabbath’s book. If you are going to be running a ‘City Game’ of ANY RPG setting this is a must have item. You have to realize while it is touching upon Zak’s home setting of Vornheim, it really is a book on how to be a better Game Master. It’s a book that pours ideas, creativity, and joy from its very pages. As I turned every single piece of paper I found myself wanting to take what was there and adapt it to my campaign. The book is almost insidious in nature as it seeps into your own creativity and basically challenges you to be more creative, to raise your game to another level, and to be better at running your games. I love this book, and it will hopefully make my players love my game even more. Thank you Zak & James Raggi!

Now that I’ve gotten all that happy shite out of my system I think the only way I can deal with all my pent up rage about all the crap going down is to formulate the following list;

TOP TEN FOLKS WHO NEED PUNCHED IN THEIR MOUTHS!


10) DCnU Protesters At Comic-Con – Get a life. It’s not your company, and they aren’t your characters. This is one of the goofiest things I’ve ever read about. If you don’t like the direction of the company then start your own.

9) The Republican Party – What the Hell? The President basically acquiesced to your demands and STILL you’re holding the country hostage. I can’t believer the audacity and pure political bullshit you’re pulling. The sad thing is there are SO many political zealots out there that they’ll look at what your doing as the ‘right thing’. If there were any justice in the world none of you would be re-elected.

8)Steven Spielberg - LEAVE Jurassic Park & Jaws ALONE! Seriously. Come up with a new original idea. Stop mining your own past and pissing on your legacy. Learn from Lucas please.

7) President Obama – I understand the political poker game you’re playing with the GOP, but you were willing to give away WAY too much. This is not what you were elected to do. There is compromise and then there is weakness. I’ve begun to completely forget why I voted for you.

6) NFL Players Association – Just sign the F’N deal already. If you drag this crap out longer you’re going to find out that there WILL be fan backlash. Don’t be Baseball; don’t force us to teach you a lesson with our time and dollars. Oh and as much as I want to like a guy like Aaron Henderson

when you go on a major market radio show and bitch about the money your making when I'm hitting just around $35 thousand a year you do yourself NO favors. I know you have a limited window of earning, I know you play a dangreous game, and I know the work you put in. All that being said, you play a F'N Game. You ain't starvin'. You are an enterainer. You had your college paid for. You can gain income from endorsements. You are given opportunities afforded to you simply because you can tackle folks well. Don't try and tell the rest of us in Middle Class 'Merica how rough you have it. Most of us would do ANYTHING to exchange places with you. This is part of the problem with this lock-out. There is NO one involved that you can root for. Just get it done and stop the whining. Oh and P.A. stop 'slurping' it's really sad.

5) Governor Mark Dayton – Speaking of surrender, now that the new State budget is coming out all I can say is ‘wow’. You really rolled over and took it didn’t you. On you’re watch Human Services budgets will get hit by another 20% cut. And what did the Republicans give up? Nothing really. I understand that the state had to get back up and running, but you didn’t really solve anything. Instead we’ll be back at this in one year, and it’s obvious that you’ll be willing again to gut Human Services in order to ‘compromise’.

4) James Harrison – Shut up. You’re a dirty player who should just stop talking. I actually really hope that the Steelers remain the Steelers and cut you since you’re old and on the back end of your production. Oh and you’ll go elsewhere, continue to be a locker room problem, run your mouth, and as you get older and slower some big left tackle is going to get his hands on you and ‘break’ you. You aren’t the guy you were two years ago James. So stop talking like you are.

3) Minnesota GOP – You should be ashamed of yourselves. Rather than compromise and possibly tax that top 2%, you AGAIN attack Human Services. You continue to hit those who can’t hit back. I wonder how it feels to continue to take from a group that needs? Minnesota used to be a state that cared about those that can’t care for themselves. Now we’re just another state that must protect the Rich at all costs, sells it’s votes to the highest bidders, and is governed by people more worried about their careers than their constituents. Oh and when did barrowing against money that isn’t yours and isn’t even really there equate into ‘Fiscal Conservative’? You are frauds.

2) Minnesota Democrats & Republicans – The Lefties that are in political cahoots with the ‘Tribes’ and the Moral Absolutists on the Right are holding us all hostages because we can’t get a ‘Racino’ that would bring a TON of revenue and prevent some of these horrendous cuts. It’s nice that the folks on the Left that are fiscally backed by the ‘Tribes’ will sacrifice the disabled, elderly, and children for the almighty dollar. It’s just as glorious that the 'bible beaters' on the Right would rather let the disabled, elderly, and children fall farther into poverty than ‘compromise’ their ‘morals’. With very few exceptions these ideologues on the far Right and the ‘boughtLeft make me sick to my stomach. SHAME!

1) The Norway Guy – I’m not going to go into detail here, because frankly it’s just too appalling. I guess my real question is how is this guy still breathing? I’m shocked he has met with an ‘accident’ yet. Oh and if everything I’ve read thus far turns out to be fact as to his reasoning and religious beliefs I think Christians should take a long, hard look in the mirror as to what they are creating with the new intolerant dogma they are spewing.

All of that must makes me so frustrated. So frustrated in fact that I need a palate cleanser, and nothing does that as well as…

RANDOM CRAP!

- FF & Avengers Team-Up in Avengers: Earth’s Mightest Heroes Season 2? YES PLEASE!
- NEW Doctor Who starting in August! ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’ is the title of the episode and I’m beyond pumped.
-
- I mowed yesterday and my body has decided that I’m an idiot. It feels like someone is trying to pull me apart by the legs at the hips. The lawn looks good though.
- I might even get back to painting this week.
- My hair needs a serious trim. It was barely contained beneath the power and the glory of my sweatband this weekend.
- Knights Of Badassdom!

There are so many people who I’ve seen in SO many other things in this flick. Not to mention it’s about LARPing and has a Demon in it, all this equals must see for this geek.
- I really must get out to see Captain America. Everything I’ve read about it really has solidified it in my mind as something I have to enjoy in a theatre.
- I am on Night 3 of Chikara’s King Of Trios 2011.

It’s been so much fun to watch, the matches are fast, fun, and giggle worthy. So much so that Cassandra is actually shown some interest.
- I found out this weekend that I smell like dinosaurs. Thank you Seany.
- Bryan Danielson!


These videos seriously makes me happy.
- It’s frustrating to send out e-mails and messages on Facebook(s) to try and organize a gaming session and only get one person to be a consistent responder. And for that consistent response I want to publically thank David. Thank you David for being a considerate friend.
- I need a nap.

I really think that’s enough for today…

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown
The final countdown

Ohh
We're heading for Venus and still we stand tall
'Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all, yea
With so many light years to go and things to be found
(To be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so


It's the final countdown
The final countdown
The final countdown
(The final countdown)
Ohh ho ohh

The final countdown, oh ho
It's the final countdown
The final countdown
The final countdown
(The final countdown)

Ohh
It's the final countdown
We're leaving together
The final countdown
We'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown
(The final countdown)
Ohh, it's the final countdown
Yea



* = Chubbies UNITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment