Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hell's Belles Vs. Scum Of The Earth







* = Dang Spidey, that is just COLD BLOODED!














I wasn’t going to blog this week. I just didn’t have anything really worth writing about, and honestly I’ve been sort of ‘meh’ on sitting down, writing, and then fighting with blogger to get the post to look even remotely how I want it to. I have found that the blog has been a great place when I have some sort of existential crisis that I have to somehow work through, or my brain is bubbling over with ideas to the point that I can’t contain myself, or I just want to spread the word about something cool that I think everyone should know about.

I just don’t really have any of that this week. I’m not overly inspired, and am strangely just detached from most things going on right now. I think it’s because I’m really tired, the heat is sucking the life out of me, and the pre-holiday three day weekend grind has slowed my cognitive capacity greatly. So guess I’m just going to throw out a stream of consciousness sort of thing today. Mainly because it is all I got in me and to maintain my ‘1 A Week’ commitment.

So without further ado, here is your…

RANDOM CRAP!

- 3rd Group D&D meets tonight. I have a decent idea about where I want to take things tonight and how I want to get there. I need to nail down the nuts and bolts in my head though. This is a bit of a make or break session. It has to carry forward a lot of the stuff that went down Role Playing wise last session, and yet the action quotient needs to be cranked up considerably. I really want to get a slow build pseudo-horror vibe that morphs into an action tale, sort of like the D&D equivalent of the flick Aliens. If I can figure out a way to really nail down the investment for a few more of the players I think I can hit it out of the park. I hope the ‘twists’ I’m contemplating will help to elevate the external tension and give the group some additional tangible cohesion.

- I’m insatiably hungry for something, and yet I have no Earthly idea what that mystery ‘something’ is. Frustrating.

- Last Friday was our monthly SMACKDOWN. Normally I’d give a rundown of what happened, some of the matches, and how James and his beard were horrifically taunted by his brother Diamond Dave. However, I was sort of out of it that night. I had a great time, drank some beer, laughed really hard, got my ass handed to me by almost everyone in every match, but nothing got seared into my brain like it normally does. All I do know is I’m looking forward to our next SMACKDOWN in Sept.

- I really can’t wait for WWE 2k14. I think it is going to be amazing.

- I’m starting DDP Yoga on Monday with Cassandra. I’m sort of excited and terrified at the same time. The reality is my body needs some changes to make it viable long term. I need to drop some pounds, and I certainly would love to live life without all the terrible aches and pains in my joints. However I have no desire to humiliate myself through failure. I’m one of those people who desperately desires, and sometimes disturbingly NEEDS, to be ‘good’ at things I do or try. I’m not overly competitive anymore with anyone but my image of myself, which in a lot of ways is far worse than wanting to ‘beat’ anyone else. That horrible self-awareness of setting the bar out of reach and then the inevitable failure are really hard for me to cope with. Couple that with being unhappy with my current condition aesthetically as well as being at the very least in a state of low grade pain every hour of my existence and you have a situation that is sort of hard for me to be excited about. I want this to work, hell honestly I need this to work. I need to find a way to drop those pounds and get some joint relief, and this program has worked for a LOT of people. I’m scared I won’t be able to hack it, will hate it, or will just plain fail at it. Time will tell I suppose.

- Football needs to just hurry up and start and stop being a tease.

- The other day I finished reading Realms Of The Underdark (** ½ out of 5).
This was a compilation of tales be the likes of Ed Greenwood regarding different characters and their trials and tribulations in the Dark Below. The book wasn’t bad, in fact it was entertaining, but I just wasn’t really blown away by anything in it. I enjoyed it, but nothing jumped out at me or had me cheering or even actively jeering. The tale of Drizzt’s father was interesting, but ultimately sort of fell flat for me. I found Ed Greenwood’s tale to be the most fun, but at the same time it was like a LOT of his work and very self-reverential and heavy handed. The Derro & the Gnome’s tale was interesting, but I found that in the end I just didn’t care about either of the characters enough to feel the dread of the situation. I think that might be one of the issues with an anthology. If I don’t have a reason to stay invested throughout then I sort of tend to check out and just read. When I read I want not just an escape, but I want a world I can crawl into and inhabit full of characters I can cheer for and against. I want to feel enveloped in that place and time. If I don’t get those things than it is just a blissful distraction rather than a grand adventure. And while I was distracted here I just wanted so much more.

- Miley Cyrus needs to put her Gene Simmons tongue away.

- Saturday is what was going to be the Kaiju BBQ, and is now the Kaiju Potluck. The heat is too oppressive to stand out and grill all day. I want to hide in a dark living room laughing with friends and gorging on beer and food. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Thus far I know we are watching King Kong Vs. Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters. After that I have some ideas like an episode or two of the Toho Spider-Man show and maybe Frankenstein Conquers The World, but I’m keeping that wide open. I think I’m most excited about the idea of laughing, drinking, and carrying on with a houseful of fun people. I’m hoping it’ll be a blast.

- Monday I’m grilling. Perhaps a pork loin, or maybe some sausages, who knows. What I do know is once this heat wave is over I have to GRILL!

- While I’ve been dutifully painting in the basement, four more miniatures done this week (!), I’ve been watching the old WWE Legends Of Wrestling Roundtable show.
If you are into wrestling like I am then this show is FASCINATING. To hear the guys who are or were the industry talk about how the inner machine operates is spellbinding. They cover everything from who had backstage heat (meaning they were a pain in the ass), to racism, to the culture of southern wrestling. Beyond the anecdotes, which are sometimes hilarious, it is the thought process that I find the most interesting. To hear the whys and wherefores on why something succeeded or failed, who should have gotten what push when, and why those folks love the business just mesmerizes me. So if you are into stuff like that then you HAVE to see this.

- I really need to do a brush culling and buy some more new ones soon.

- Speaking of painting, I have another batch that need the eye and DIP treatment ready. Last night I really was efficient in finishing two I’d started and taking one from primer to finish. Couple that with the Ogre I did start to finish on Monday and it has been a relatively productive couple of days. I’m trying to get a bit better at the dry brushing, and I can see some progress. At the same time I’m trying to tone down some of my more bizarre color choices and outlandish choices. Limiting those to specific pieces seems like a prudent choice. As I laid in bed being put to sleep by The Film Crew riffing on ‘Giant Of Marathon’ last night I thought about how I should go back and take another stab at those Roman Legionnaires that I have laying around half done. I think with my much improved skills I could get through them relatively quickly and make them look a LOT better than the shoddy half-done job they have on them now. I mean I do have a Roman ship now. Hmmmmm. Perhaps a Lost Legion might be in the works for one of the D&D Groups.

- SLEEP! I need that.

- I’m not sure I’m going to do any Pathfinder Battles previews for the new set since last blog I basically showed pictures of almost ever y single miniature in the set. Not to mention I’m not sure if anyone beyond myself cares to read me blather on and on about those miniatures anyway. So I’ll leave it up to those of you who do read my mindless drivel. Should I continue with the weekly miniature preview and write up, or just give it a break for a while? You tell me.

- A hug would be good right now.

- I’ve missed my Dad this week. I am unsure why. There has just been this profound ache to want to talk to him. To laugh, to quote MST3K, to tell tall tales, and to gleam some of that precious knowledge he had hoarded away inside that prodigious and troubled mind of his. I’ve noticed glimmers of him in the mirror when I look. Sometimes I catch myself doing little mannerisms that were his. Sometimes I notice that my ‘realism’ spirals into bleak pessimism and I realize that as much as I am haunted by and scared of who he became, there is that in me. There is also his joy for things as well, his unwavering affection for those he loved, his desire to not just learn about a subject but to be engulfed in it, and his laugh. I’m going to stop now so I don’t cry. Big Love, I miss you.

Well I think that is all I can stand today…

“Company, always on the run
Destiny is the rising sun
Oh, I was born six-gun in my hand
Behind a gun I'll make my final stand
That's why they call me

Bad company
And I can't deny
Bad company
Till the day I die
Oh, till the day I die
Till the day I die

Rebel souls, deserters we are called
Chose a gun and threw away the sun
Now these towns, they all know our name
Six-gun sound is our claim to fame
I can hear them say

Bad company
And I won't deny
Bad, bad company
Till the day I die, oo yeah
Till the day I die, oo

Hey
Bad company
And I can't deny
Bad company
Till the day I die

And I say it's
Bad company, oh yeah yeah
Bad company
Till the day I die, oh yeah

Tell me that you are not a thief
Oh but I am bad company
It's the way I play dirty for dirty
Oh, somebody double-crossed me
Double-cross, double-cross

Yeah, we're bad company”




* = Why you might ask?  Because I REALLY enjoy watching John Cena take a knee in the face.  YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment